English grammar

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Here's a test for all you good folk; see how many times you can spot the mis-use of the word 'its' meaning belonging to it. For example, "The caravan should have its water drained in the winter".

Whereas, "it's" is the contraction (short form) meaning "it is"; e.g. "it's a shame the weather's awful".

Now, see how many times you can spot the incorrect use of "it's" when the writer should have used "its".

:)

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Lisa, I don't know what's got into me lately,I've put it down to a mid life crisis, I was looking at motorbikes at a Harley dealer yesterday (;o>

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have something of a fixation with apostrophes, especially the common incorrect possessive apostrophe on the word "it's". I also like to spot the ubiquitous "greengrocer's apostrophe", e.g. banana's, apple's, pear's, grape's etc. Many people struggle with a plural, and don't like the look of the "s" next to a vowel.

I correct such errors in a work context or when helping my offspring with their homework. I particularly enjoy pointing out errors in "official" documents and publications, and on signs in shops and other public places.

However, I am not far enough "up myself" to correct any dodgy apostrophes, spelling or grammar on this site. What's the point? As long as the meaning is not changed then there is no problem in comprehension.

One of my favourites was a sign outside a newsagent's shop: "Water for dog's only". What part of the animal is its "only"? I have never seen one.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Lisa, I don't know what's got into me lately,I've put it down to a mid life crisis, I was looking at motorbikes at a Harley dealer yesterday (;o>
Hi Roy

Sounds good to me. Just steer clear of medallions.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
A woman walked into her doctor's office, scared of the strange development recently to the inside of her thighs... a green spot on the inside of each. They won't wash off, they won't scrape off, and they seem to be getting worse.

The doctor assured her he'll get to the bottom of this, and that she needn't worry until tests come back. With that said, he sent her home.

A few days later, the woman's phone rang. Much to her relief, it was the doctor. She immediately begged to know what's going

on with these spots?

"You're perfectly healthy -- there's no problem. But I'm wondering, is your husband a Harley guy?" the doctor asked.

"Yes -- how did you know?"

"Tell him his earrings aren't real gold."

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
you want bad spelling?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Funny how that is very readable!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
you want bad spelling?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

brianlilt

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
you want bad spelling?

My god, I read brilliant there Brian! That's astounding Steve, the spell checker goes in the bin termowow.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
you want bad spelling?

Maloooooo!!!!!

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
and how about their and there (or starting a sentence with 'And' !)

Of course there is also the real bug-bear which is the (now common - even on Radio 4 !!) use of the word "There's" followed by a plural. I have struggled with this for 15 years and now given up. So when you hear someone say "There's ten people over there", as opposed to "There are ten poople over there", you too may no longer cringe as the useage has become so common as to form part of acceptable English usage..

Ah well

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John you are whistling in the wind with regards to modern day grammar and pronounciation and as you can see from some of the posts that articles are being written using the phonetic lanquage used in mobile texting.

whilst this is acceptable for this medium, I doubt that it would stand the test of time when it comes to the world of books.

I have found that you cannot stop progress which does not mean that all progress is good.

I have been reading books since I was 5 (65 yrs. ago) and I always preach that reading is one of the great learning tools given to us, and also that the public library is a seat of learning for anyone and should be preserved. I could go on about this topic for hours.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John you are whistling in the wind with regards to modern day grammar and pronounciation and as you can see from some of the posts that articles are being written using the phonetic lanquage used in mobile texting.

whilst this is acceptable for this medium, I doubt that it would stand the test of time when it comes to the world of books.

I have found that you cannot stop progress which does not mean that all progress is good.

I have been reading books since I was 5 (65 yrs. ago) and I always preach that reading is one of the great learning tools given to us, and also that the public library is a seat of learning for anyone and should be preserved. I could go on about this topic for hours.
shiraz,

totally agree with you about books and reading.I like yourself am an avid reader.I have encouraged both my own children and grandchildren to read.

My grandchildren are working there way through what I would call some of the classics and loving it.

Books open the world to everyone and I think its a shame if kids are not given the chance and encouraged to read.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I am guilty of some of the 'crimes' mentioned when using this forum I do feel that won't, shan't, can't and so on should not be used in formal situations. Such as my daughters school report " she will not get on if she don't revise " She was also issued with the note for the canteen " - - - - has hockey practice. Please let - - - - go too the head of the cue". The Heads defence of that was worthy of Basil Fawlty at his most manic. Too much texting ? ?

Mike E

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
I agree about whistling in the wind Shiraz. I think the lack of understanding of the basics of English nowadays is appaling.

Although we don't have children ourselves, we have youngsters in our immediate families and I am shocked at their lack of knowledge of the written/spoken word even though they are otherwise quite well-educated; there just doesn't seem to be the same level of importance placed on learning their native language as there was when I was at school.

My pet hate is the use of the word "of" as in "I should of" as opposed to "I should have". That really irritates me.

OK rant over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To Mike - your daughter's report as you have stated is not nowadays acceptable in education. Instead of reading "she will not get on if she don't revise" should have been worded with a positive approach "... with more revision, better results could be achieved." The way the report was worded would give a child a sense of failure. Incidently should a person give a bad reference for a job, etc., the injured person can now sue for loss of earnings from not getting that job. Although you may be presenting a fair picture of that person you can still be sued.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All this reminds me of the latest in political correctness. There is no longer such a thing as failure. It is now called deferred success.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike there is a failure. I fail to understand where this country is going with political correctness. I am glad that I have taken early retirement from education and now enjoy a reasonably stress free life. The PC brigade has taken this country over - it appears to have stemmed from the EU for what good they are to this country. Bring back the British Commonwealth. What was wrong with New Zealand, Australia, etc?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mike there is a failure. I fail to understand where this country is going with political correctness. I am glad that I have taken early retirement from education and now enjoy a reasonably stress free life. The PC brigade has taken this country over - it appears to have stemmed from the EU for what good they are to this country. Bring back the British Commonwealth. What was wrong with New Zealand, Australia, etc?
....... or Canada and the Scandinavian countries. We ditched all of those for the E.U.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The thing that niggles me are people who are being interviewed and in their reply keep saying y'know. The interviewer wouldn't have asked him the question in the first place if h'knew.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
The thing that niggles me are people who are being interviewed and in their reply keep saying y'know. The interviewer wouldn't have asked him the question in the first place if h'knew.
LB; indeed, but that's not grammar, it's a speaking style (know what I mean?)!

John

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
What happen to the word 'an'....many times I have listened to and watched news readers who refer to 'a hotel'....no such thing! These so called media types are useless when it comes to grammar!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
What happen to the word 'an'....many times I have listened to and watched news readers who refer to 'a hotel'....no such thing! These so called media types are useless when it comes to grammar!!
oops Wendy, I might be wrong but I think it is only "an" if the following word begins with a vowel. Unless you drop your aitches that is lolol a hotel - an otel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"The couple checked into an hotel for the night" is strictly correct. Because many people don't know about this, "a hotel" has come into common use.

Personally, I don't care. Colloquialism rules. Usually.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts