Equipment for removal of water from system before winter

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Can any member refresh my memory, I have read recently of a piece of kit that completely removes all water from the system prior to laying up for the winter to prevent frost damage, either by suction or pressure, I have forgottom how it works.

It was quite cheap buy, but I don't know where I got the info from, it must have been in PC or the CC magazine, does anyone know about this, or have I been day dreaming again !!!

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
I don't recall reasding about any specific kit bu i use a peice of clear tube that'll just fit over the very end of the tap.
I remove the water filter, [I have a submersable pump] & then open the drain bung on the water heater, I then open each tap, alternating hot & cold sides and blow hard down the tube. The shower is easier as I can just remove the shower head & blow down the hose.
I then leave everything open.
Hope this helps!
Gareth

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
There is the Floe drain system that is mentioned in this months C&CC magazine www.keepfloeing.com

I've not tried it but it is supposed to work by pushing the water out of the system with compressed air from a foot pump of an electric compressor.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
See my post in the General section about water remaining in the shower valve - according to our dealer this winter several caravanners have reported problems with water damage to the shower valve - where water remains even though the systems are drained properly. It would be interesting to see if a pressurised system would get rid of this water.
We had to remove our valve and block the two water pipes because of frost damage, only discovered when we went away in the van. It's now going to remain showerless, because a new valve is £92.00 - and we've never used the one in the van in eleven years of ownership.
I've just had a look at the 'Floe' system, and £42.00 is expensive for a bit of a hosepipe/pump connection though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had trouble last winter when my onboard Whale pump was damaged by frost (new pump a month before
smiley-frown.gif
)
Speaking to whale about the problems associated with getting every last drop of water out of the system, they suggested removing the pump every time I put the van in storage during the winter. Not very helpful when the pump takes a while to get at and we use the van through the winter for weekends.
What I'm thinking of trying is to drain as much water as possible then pump through and antifreeze solution then drain that out. Anything left in the system then would be the solution.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There is a 'potable' antifreeze which you can use for water systems - but make sure you flush things out well before you use the van again. People with boats often use it in the winter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts