Erecting an awning

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have been wanting to ask but never got round to it...........why dont the caravan channel not show people how to put up an awning. Yes we all do it but there are lots of people out there who dont like to do it because of the arguments it causes. I always have trouble at the front side where it comes down the awning rail and there is this triangle bit of plastic/rubber and I never know where to put it. The instructions are not that good. All the magazines I read never show that point, infact they really only show the veiw from the side and thats it. So if the caravan channel is looking for something to do there is a good one for them. Cheers.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
This website has awning instructions, they may be of use to you.

Full awning
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/how-put-full-awning

Porch awning
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/how-put-porch-awning

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The "arguments it causes" is easily avoided by doing it yourself; in our case with my good lady ably attending to her own tasks.
However I accept this only works where the wind is no big issue, then I need help initially.

IMO the technique adopted plays a vital role, stages 7 & 8 in the above "full awning" link being the secret so many obviously fail to hoist into their procedure.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fear the PCV clip is grossly over simplified, particularly for porch awnings. These seem to have many more parts to the framework than full awnings and with handed joints, so it matters completely what goes where.

The best advice I can offer is to choose a calm day, when everyone is in a calm frame of mind, and start calmly by reading whatever instructions are provided.
Then, when you are sure you have got it right and before relaxing wiht large G&T have to hand at least three different colours of insulation tape and colour code each side of each joint in unique bands of coloured tape. Then, still beforethe G&T, draw a reasonable sketch of the framework and write down the colour coding you have just applied. Make sure you know whether B means black or brown or blue.

Next time out, remove all front and side panels from the roof and main canvas. Fit this into the awning rail and position approximately. Then assemble frame as far as possible in front of the hanging awning. Then walk it under the roof panels and tie in the side poles nearest to the caravan with the tapes, velco etc. provided.
Get the frame more or less into shape and put down a coupe of guy lines at thefront to keep it from collapsing against the caravan.
Add side and front panels doing the upwind end / side first.
Tension frame again, then peg down pars nearest to caravan and work outwards.
Retension and repeg as necessary. Understand why porch awnings are also know as 'divorce in a bag'

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have looked at the photos and they are informative. I would like to see them do it on video though. I have seen someone put one up on youtube, this was a Isabella and the chap took about 15 minutes on his own.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
We had dorema porch awning and imo it was harder to put up than our Isabella combi that is really stable and loads of room.It is a bit heavier to be fair but not that much considering the extra room

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Racoon
JTQ is spot on re points 7&8.
Years ago I had a complicated Dorema Toronto. That was a nightmare to erect but once marked out and its indiosincracies understood not too hard.
our Isabellas full and porch are virtually a one man job bar holding the centre front pole and with the full awning pulling it through the awning rail.
I always clean the rail first and then spray with silicon. It lubricates the channel.

take it easy. If it gets hard take a breather , have a cuppa and return.
also on most sites there is always some fellow tugger who will help.
Don't have a domestic!

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Treat yourself to a Bradcot awning with easy alloy poles - easy peasy to erect. We've had 2 full size and 2 porch ones over the years (due to a change of caravan size) all had easy alloy poles. Really well made awnings with strong zips and would certainly buy Bradcot again if we had to.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
I went to Kimberley caravans yesterday just for a drive out, fatal !!! there it was ! a Compactalite pro integra 375 hex, couldn't resist it. When i got home i looked at the instructions, OMG going to take the first week of the holiday to put it up, but the second week should be better , i hope.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Graham Derby said:
I went to Kimberley caravans yesterday just for a drive out, fatal !!! there it was ! a Compactalite pro integra 375 hex, couldn't resist it. When i got home i looked at the instructions, OMG going to take the first week of the holiday to put it up, but the second week should be better , i hope.
Hi Graham,,,,,,, Hope you get it up ok with all of those poles to put together ...... am so glad we opted for the new Kampa Air awning (we bought the new pro model with the thicker material) .....

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sproket said:
Graham Derby said:
Hi Graham,,,,,,, Hope you get it up ok with all of those poles to put together ...... am so glad we opted for the new Kampa Air awning (we bought the new pro model with the thicker material) ....

Hi Graham

hopefully you can olour code the poles with tape to help setting up.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
When it's considered a divorce in a bag perhaps the problem is the other half and NOT the awning's fault, consider keeping the awning and changing the wife. I have never had a problem with any awnings except those light weight fiddly things. Current awning an issy Magnum is the easiest though and it'll be a long time before I consider changing it.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Martin24 said:
When it's considered a divorce in a bag perhaps the problem is the other half and NOT the awning's fault, consider keeping the awning and changing the wife.

Air being sucked through teeth icon thingy. Just bear in mind that wife may be having the same thought about husband. :)
mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts