Euro rules

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We're off to Switzerland at Easter, travelling through France. Did I read recently that the French have gone all Swedish & now require daytime headlights? Do they still require headlight beam deflectors as I've never seen any on French cars over here? Haven't been to France for 2 years, so I'm a bit rusty!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Daytime headlights are only a recommendation in France, currently on a long-term trial, not the law, and this advisory also only applies outside built-up areas. Beam deflectors are not a legal requirement as such. The only legal requirement is that oncoming traffic must not be dazzled. If your headlamps can be adjusted to prevent dazzle, then that is all you need to do.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm told that Continental car headlights dip down and not to the near side so they do not need deflectors whilst in the U.K. Whilst this may or may not be true, experience tells me that French cars in France might dip both lights, one light, or neither - and no one seems much bothered. C'est la vie or something like that.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The headlamps of left hand drive cars dip to to one side just as the UK cars do, although obviously the other way around. I think the explanation for the French reaction is more a matter of them thinking that, what the hell, I'm only going to be in the UK for a couple of weeks at the most and I'm not likely to do much night driving, so why should I bother to do anything.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts