Euro Tour Documentation - It's a minefield

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
I've trawled the web and found lots of basic info, lots of opinion and lots of conflicting advice from various associations and insurance providers. However, I'm keen to understand what I legally NEED to have with me when doing my Euro tour.

Will be driving with a caravan to the following countries.
UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and Belgium.
So all Europe, but not all EU.

I've had a driving license since 1986

Car and caravan are well matched and neither will be overloaded. Car is 2008.

My legal kit was going to consist of:-

2x Warning triangles
4x hi-viz jackets
1x first aid kit
1x fire extinguisher
1x set of bulbs which will fit everything
v5 for car
Criss doc for van
Insurance docs for both
Driving license
EHIC cards
Passport
Euro breakdown/recovery for car and caravan

What have I missed? I have heard of various licenses and permits to increase allowable speed etc. Don't intend to do major cities so hopefully don't need permits for that.
Would you recommend getting a tag for the toll roads? Is there one that works for all or do I need one per country. How do they work when towing so I don't get the barrier down on the a-frame.

It's proving difficult to get up to date trustworthy information but I suspect the collective wisdom on here will be there or there abouts.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A card made up with speed limits fore each country. Note hey can change depending on weather. French limits are going to change in July I believe. So depending on your dates check that out as they aren't increasing!

If your headlights don’t adjust then beam benders are useful. Even if you don’t plan on night driving they keep the gendarmes at bay.

There are times when a Eurostar and local in-country transport begin to look attractive. But its worth it in the end.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Looks like you have all the documents, are you taking A dog, cat, Rat or ferret you need Pet passport for them. Switzerland and Austria you can buy the motorway permits at the border, or in petrol station nearby, otherwise you look ready to go , have a great time and enjoy it all. Avoid Zurich with a caravan, and stay out of tram lanes. :p

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Mark31415 said:
......Would you recommend getting a tag for the toll roads? Is there one that works for all or do I need one per country. How do they work when towing so I don't get the barrier down on the a-frame.

It's proving difficult to get up to date trustworthy information but I suspect the collective wisdom on here will be there or there abouts.....

I would definitely recommend getting a toll tag for France for the roads. We didn't the first time but we have since then! It'll save lots of time and searching about for credit cards and coins and having to reach over to the paybooths . Don't worry about the barrier coming down , it won't, it's all sensored . Another tip, leave access to your toilet in the van if you stop because the queues for the service station toilets can be quite long .
Chill out and enjoy

Craig. B)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi again Mark there is not an all European tag that I know of. Here is a link for Sanef tolling, which I use. https://www.saneftolling.co.uk.
Hutch.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mark31415 said:
Cheers. Great tip ref the toilet. Are there tags for tolls in other countries too? Is there any sort of euro-tag or one per country?

In France we find that the locals will always park their cars as near to toilets in Aires as they possibly can. Bays marked for caravans and motorhomes have no meaning to the French ( or Brits for that matter). Aires will fill up very quickly when lunch time arrives. So we tend to stop for an early lunch around 1130, and theres no problem in parking amongst HGVs if you need to in Aires.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........we avoid toll roads as much as possible so don't bother with a Tag.

We can still manage up to 300 miles a day whilst towing a caravan and that is enough for us as we are always on holiday :cheer:

Best to make sure you have a card style driving license as these are the norm in Europe.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
You'll need a GB sticker, if your number plate does not already have one (you'll need one for the caravan as well). There's also the tricky issue of Breathalysers in France. While the law still requires motorists to carry them, the penalty for not having them has been postponed, so while it's still illegal not to have them, there is currently no fine. Finally, I believe that if you require to wear glasses when driving, you must carry a spare pair with you.

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
........we avoid toll roads as much as possible so don't bother with a Tag.

We can still manage up to 300 miles a day whilst towing a caravan and that is enough for us as we are always on holiday :cheer:

Best to make sure you have a card style driving license as these are the norm in Europe.
My chief navigator usually avoids toll roads unless the alternative is too tortious. Usually go North/South through France though, never gone this far East before so not sure how the road work out.

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
Mark31415 said:
Cheers. Great tip ref the toilet. Are there tags for tolls in other countries too? Is there any sort of euro-tag or one per country?

In France we find that the locals will always park their cars as near to toilets in Aires as they possibly can. Bays marked for caravans and motorhomes have no meaning to the French ( or Brits for that matter). Aires will fill up very quickly when lunch time arrives. So we tend to stop for an early lunch around 1130, and theres no problem in parking amongst HGVs if you need to in Aires.
To be fair in some bits of France I find the locals just go where they park rather than parking near the toilets!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
All the road are pretty good, one last thing get a E 111, health card card for each travelling person, they help if you have a health problem , you can claim back if you have to pay for A problem,
Any one used there's yet, I never have.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
All the road are pretty good, one last thing get a E 111, health card card for each travelling person, they help if you have a health problem , you can claim back if you have to pay for A problem,
Any one used there's yet, I never have.

Yes used it for dental work on a broken tooth. Had to pay the dentist the going French rate but claimed it back when I got home it worked smoothly. Some travel insurance conditions require you to seek medical assistance using EH1C before walking in to the poshest private medical center in the locale.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
EH52ARH said:
See this --- This means that you will not be charged the full cost of your treatment and you will save a lot of money. But what about the money you pay upfront? Can you claim that back? Unfortunately, rules in place since 1st July 2014 mean that you can no longer receive a refund for the money you pay upfront in a European country

It's all in this:- https://www.europeanhealthinsurancecard.org.uk/can-i-claim-a-refund-if-i-have-to-pay-for-treatment-abroad/

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Jaydug said:
EH52ARH said:
See this --- This means that you will not be charged the full cost of your treatment and you will save a lot of money. But what about the money you pay upfront? Can you claim that back? Unfortunately, rules in place since 1st July 2014 mean that you can no longer receive a refund for the money you pay upfront in a European country

It's all in this:- https://www.europeanhealthinsurancecard.org.uk/can-i-claim-a-refund-if-i-have-to-pay-for-treatment-abroad/

I don’t understand this as if you don’t get a refund on the payment you make to say a French doctor, what else is there to claim a refund on? Or is it that the two medical services then just sort out the additional costs between themselves?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.............I would be aware that the two links shown in the posts above are not official websites.

The EHIC card is free from the official NHS website which is the authoritative source of current information.

My understanding is that you may be charged for medical treatment in the EU.
Unless you are attending a private hospital, this charge will only be part of the actual cost.
You have to claim any costs from your travel insurance which you should also take out, even though you have a EHIC card.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Depending on whether you intend to enter any German cities that impose restrictions on emissions, you may need a green sticker that can be purchased online before you leave or upon arrival in Germany at most car dealerships upon presentation of your V5c. It only costs 5 Euros if you buy in Germany and it is valid indefinitely. Virtually all petrol engined cars and all Euro 4 or above diesels are eligible for a green sticker. A handful of cities are starting to restrict entry of Euro 5 diesels too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a regular european traveller I think you've pretty well got it. You need two triangles if towing, plus in Spain you need length plates if the (hitched) length of your outfit exceeds 12m. The plates have to meet a certain design - see CC website for details.
In theory you need breathalysers in France but won't get fined if you don't have any. get some first time you fill up in France.
Not legally required but I carry one of the LED flashing beacons which can be attached to the back of the caravan or (magnetically) on car or just waved to improve you visibility if unfortunate at night - £12 -£15 on ebay or from Halfords i guess. I keep one in the car in UK anyway.

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Got back home yesterday. 2000 miles, 8 countries, no dramas, apart from at the tunnel port didn't even need to get passports out. One blown headlight bulb and one wheel removed at the side of the road to remove a bit of stone from the brakes which started making a weird noise while going down the side of a mountain!

Had an excellent trip. Thanks everyone for all the advice and happy to share the details if anyone is considering anything similar. France - Switzerland - Liechtenstein - Austria - Germany - Luxembourg - Belgium - Netherlands - Home. BMW 520d + Xplore + awning + 4 bikes + 2 kids.

Austria was amazing. If you've not been then I'd highly recommend it. Dutch still the best camping neighbours to have and Germans probably the noisiest.

The motorways in Germany were probably the worst bit as you need to overtake the odd lorry but to do so you have to pull into the outer lanes full of 100mph+ cars. Can get a bit exciting although for many many miles you are not allowed to overtake at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts