Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Im wanting to take my caravan to France, and I am trying to find out about traveling via the euro tunnel. I know if you go by ferry, and you arrive a bit early at the ferry port, they will put you on the next ferry if they can. Is this the same with the tunnel or can you only go at the time you have booked

Many Thanks

Phil

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Philip

Chrissie is spot on!

On our most recent trip we were put on an earlier train in both directions and this has been the norm more often than not in several years of travel.

Make sure you have your booking ref to hand at the automated check in booth and it will give you an earlier option if one (or more) is available when you punch in the code. Dead simple.

Maybe the Chunnel is a tad more expensive but so much quicker and hassle free and , unless you live in the tip of Kent you don't have the sometimes slow drag out of the Dover ferry port on your return or the potential for lengthy officialdom delays -or the risk of bad weather problems. Straight out onto the motorway!

Bon voyage - you are sure to enjoy your visit.

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Philip,

We started to use the tunnel some years ago when we wanted to take our dog with us and the price also tumbled. (It used to be almost double what we pay now.)

We have only been turned away once and that was when we arrived about 5 hours too early so we had to drive back to the services and wait for a couple of hours. Last year we arrived at 16.50 and were put on the 17.20 crossing so we were driving in France only an hour after arriving at the terminal! I waould suggest that arriving 2/3 hours early would be OK.

An important bit of info is that if you miss your crossing and turn up within 2 hours, they say that they will put you on the next available crossing. I've never done this, so can't comment.

Last year we were put on the ferry because of the tunnel fire and it made us realise how much easier it is on the train. It's more expensive, but you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Philip,

We started to use the tunnel some years ago when we wanted to take our dog with us and the price also tumbled. (It used to be almost double what we pay now.)

We have only been turned away once and that was when we arrived about 5 hours too early so we had to drive back to the services and wait for a couple of hours. Last year we arrived at 16.50 and were put on the 17.20 crossing so we were driving in France only an hour after arriving at the terminal! I waould suggest that arriving 2/3 hours early would be OK.

An important bit of info is that if you miss your crossing and turn up within 2 hours, they say that they will put you on the next available crossing. I've never done this, so can't comment.

Last year we were put on the ferry because of the tunnel fire and it made us realise how much easier it is on the train. It's more expensive, but you pays your money and you takes your choice.
We once made the mistake of booking a 7.00 crossing when we wanted one at 19.00. We didn't realise what we had done until we were on our way to Dover. There was no problem whatsoever with this, although, of course, if we had been crossing at a busy time it might have been a different story.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we have also gone early and wanted sleep gone to the ferry terminal in Calais and parked up then left(you dont have to go thro ferry there is an exit,quite secure and free.As it is outside the checkin area you dont have to produce tickets but thre are security staff patrolling

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts