European Breakdown Cover?

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I have just tried to book euroipean breakdown cover. My company car scheme requires me to have the car repatriated in the event of it breaking down whilst holidaying abroard.

The AA, RAC and Greenflag all state that they won't cover a caravan that is over 2.2m in width, or 7m in length.

My Series 7 Pageant Provence whilst by no means a huge 'van exceeds both these measurements - has anyone else got any suggestions for breakdown cover, or how I would get the caravan repatriated in the event of a catastrophic failure of the car?

Thanks,

Vince.

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Right, I've answered my own question!

The lady at the RAC called me back (which was very nice of her) to say she had looked into it a bit more and that the RAC have a special deal with the Camping and Caravan Club.

Basically, if you are a member of the C&CC, there are no restrictions on size / weight of van that they will repatriate. You must inform them that you are a member (and give them your membership number) when you book the cover.

And added bonus is that C&CC have special rates with RAC too. I have just paid

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Pity you did not read the posts of 3 or 4 months back on this topic when I asked the same question?. With help and recommendation from 3 other Forum members we joined German ADAC for this service 98.70 euros per year all in for the Partner Plan which includes my husband and I for the whole of Europe including the UK whatever and whoever's car you are in + 8 meter twin axle caravan. Read Page 9 "Help with ADAC Lutz in Overseas parks and touring.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I have to get my ins sorted when I ring up CC i'm going to ask if I'm covered in England on holiday aswell, as it will be an annual cover.

We are part of europe, so what happens if we go on holiday to the most northern tip of the country and your you loose your accommodation. I would hope that I'm covered with red pennant still to be put up somewhere. I think we need to know!!!

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

In answer:

yes, you do need to be a member of C&CC - you need to quote membershiup number.

I am not a member of CC, so would have had to factor that cost in.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Vince, I know Dianne keeps plugging ADAC, but she has answered the point I raised in her other thread on this subject, so I will raise it once again.

As far as ADAC goes, I read this on their website "Your vehicle was stolen on a journey or immobilized. We will cover the costs of a hire car up to seven days (52 EUR per day) for any route you choose (max. 364.- EUR)."

There is the first difference straight away, I was given a hire car for 10 days, would have been more if the car had taken longer. After seeing that I didn't bother to look any further.. I would have been sitting on my ar** for 3 days unable to enjoy the holiday I paid a lot of money for.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Vince, I know Dianne keeps plugging ADAC, but she has answered the point I raised in her other thread on this subject, so I will raise it once again.

As far as ADAC goes, I read this on their website "Your vehicle was stolen on a journey or immobilized. We will cover the costs of a hire car up to seven days (52 EUR per day) for any route you choose (max. 364.- EUR)."

There is the first difference straight away, I was given a hire car for 10 days, would have been more if the car had taken longer. After seeing that I didn't bother to look any further.. I would have been sitting on my ar** for 3 days unable to enjoy the holiday I paid a lot of money for.
Should read NOT answered the point.

Steve W

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Vince, for answering my question. I will need a breakdown policy when the manufacturer provided cover on my car runs out in November. I will definitely look for a combined UK and Europe policy so will consider the policy you quoted. Will also consider Dianne's recommendation - but must admit I am a bit apprehensive about the "small print" being in German.

Keith

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Anything you want to know about ADAC contact Lutz on this forum he will carify anything you need to know. He uses ADAC himself and thoroughly reccommended it giving me all the gen I needed.

I believe he is still on holiday still at the moment so you might have to wait a day or two for reply. But he is always on this Forum.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Anything you want to know about ADAC contact Lutz on this forum he will carify anything you need to know. He uses ADAC himself and thoroughly reccommended it giving me all the gen I needed.

I believe he is still on holiday still at the moment so you might have to wait a day or two for reply. But he is always on this Forum.
Sorry this should read clarify.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Vince. Sorry not to have replied before but could not find the answer now got it.

If you go to Topic in Overseas parks and touring "Help with ADAC Lutz" 9th March to last Reply 23rd May all the Info is there in English. This suits us very well and how many times does it take a Garage in Europe to repair a car more than 7 days? Not many I think.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
As someone who has been a motor mechanic all my working life, I have to tell you that it happens more times than you think in this country let alone in Europe. Dealers now carry very little stock as this costs money, instead they rely on delivery from the factory. This in the case of most cars nowadays means a long flight or sea voyage. If the car in question is still under warranty ,there is nothing you can do but wait and if you are covered by the German scheme, you could be wasting a lot of your holiday unless you are prepared to hire a car at your own expense.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
So your European Breakdown Insurance covers the repatriation of both your car and caravan but I wonder if you have really read ( and understood ) all of the small print.? Remember, there can be nearly as much useful information in omissions ( ie what is NOT said ) as in the reams of small print which is there for you to read.

I had to pay extra for the van - well of course, we are talking about caravan insurance but are we.? I was surprised to learn that the extra payment was for enhanced cover for the car. The reason.? Towing a caravan increased the risk of the car breaking down. I had no cover for assistance if the breakdown was caused by a fault to the caravan itself.

I have that cover now but the extra cost was more than 50% of the original car cover.

I hope you all have the cover you think you have paid for.

Olly.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Having had the experience of breaking down twice in Europe I disagree about garages not keeping stock of spares in Europe. Both times we broke down the spares were in stock and 2 and 3 days we were off again. Yes that is true in this country Garages do not keep much stock. We have had cars serviced in Europe too and the service has been 2nd to none at two thirds of the same service in the UK. By Europe I mean the countries we have had experience of are Germany, Austria and Spain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts