European single trip breakdown insurance.

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi,
I have carried out some research on the above, comparing extent of cover and cost of premium. RP keeps poping up, I don't have CC membership, and the premium is around £145 from memory, plus £40 CC joining fee. On research I most certainly have been under insured previously, but have never needed to make a claim, and haven't even suffered a flat tyre in 6 years and 125k miles with my current car. Hopefully this year won't be any different!
The extent of cover offered by RP is very good, but I can't substanciate a total cost of around £185 for a trip to France for 16 days.
Can any one recommend a breakdown service from personal experience?
Thank you.

Regards Paul.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
All insurance cover becomes cheap when you need to use it and when it does what it promises.
Imagine a scenario where you, your car and your caravan all needed to be repatriated, and you know absolutely that Red Pennant would cover that completely. Some others say they will, but the reality turns out to be different ................ 'the car breakdown is covered, but you're not covered for the caravan to be taken home as well'. 'it's the caravan which is left stranded in the flooded site in the Var and we'll get you and the wife home, but not the caravan.........', 'you'll have to leave the caravan at the roadside, whilst we tow the car to the garage, the caravan's too long..................' . Those are all scenarios that I've read about recently, which have happened to contributors to this or other forums. In the case of the flooded van, the guy from Red Pennant (who was down there advising Caravan Club members) helped out with suggestions, but otherwise the van owner was appealing for someone who might be able to tow it home for him!
You may well get others saying they've been 'fully covered' by their breakdown insurance - but make sure that they used the cover, and that it delivered what they expected.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We always use Red Pennant. I appreciate that it is more expensive but you get what you pay for. The C&CC also do an overseas insurance geared to the caravanner. There are many breakdown services out there but there mainly for cars with caravans as an addon where as with Red Pennant the car and caravn have almost equal status. If you also take out the personal cover you have a completely joined up policy should anything major go wrong.

David

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
A great response from Val, when I have been to France or Spain with the caravan, I have always used RP and I would not tow abroad without it.
Best Regards, Martin

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Just parted with £332 today for 122 days long stay cover. It seems a lot but as already mentioned, its nothing if things go wrong. I am not a total fan of the caravan club in many respects but I have yet to meet anybody who after needing to call on RP who has anthing but praise for the service.
Dave

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
We have been with Green Flag for several years now and have had to use them twice. On both occasions we only had the car to worry about, but in both instances we were picked up within 1/2 an hour. The first time we were towed to the pick-up's local garage where they ran a diagnostic test on the car, but when then proved pointless they drove us straight home (6 hours drive) and even dropped the car off on our car dealership forecourt so that we wouldn't need to call the dealership out to collect the car the next day. On the second occasion it was a call-out to our home as the car wouldn't start. It was Boxing Day, so I doubted they would be very swift...but sure enough they arrived quickly and fixed the car on the driveway (and we gave the driver a big box of chocs) :)

We have the top of the range European cover with them which includes home assist, recovery and towing the caravan to either home or the campsite. It costs us just under £120 a year.

****edited to say that having just checked their website, it now appears that the caravan towing is an additional add on via CC Mayday - however on checking my policy I do have caravan rescue this year...so maybe mine will change next year :(

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
hi Paul
we used to use Green Flag and had been very satisfied with the service when we punctured. However we later piched up next to someone also in Green Flag who were having difficulty repratriating the van back to the UK. They did not want responsibilty.
Also Green flag use French speaking assistance once the initial contact has been made.
WE now use Red Pennant and after having to call them out for battery which suddenly failed we would never return to Green Flag.All contact with them was in English and they followed up the incident with a call to ensure that we were safely on our way. A good after sales note.
Save to say we have just paid our premium for this next trip in June

Lulubelle

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
We used the C&CC in 2010 after a bad experience with RP the previous year. Unfortunately, C&CC simply act as an agent for Europ Assistance and don't have the kind of back-up that RP has. Fortunately we didn't have to call on their services, so have no idea what the response would be like. We may look elsewhere this year.

John M

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi to all, thank you for your responses, green flag quoted me £69.80 yesterday, which included a 10% discount (wife's car insured with them) and the add on for the caravan, it was a fairly generic application, caravan weight not to exceed etc. It's a pity that RP need you to join the CC.
I feel that I have exhausted my search, for the record both the AA and the RAC were very expensive, and quoted over £200.

Thanks for your time.

Regards Paul.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John_miller said:
We used the C&CC in 2010 after a bad experience with RP the previous year. Unfortunately, C&CC simply act as an agent for Europ Assistance and don't have the kind of back-up that RP has. Fortunately we didn't have to call on their services, so have no idea what the response would be like. We may look elsewhere this year.

John M
John

Are you prepared to share with us the problems you experienced with RP? The reason I ask is you get many people praising RP but very few being critical.
David

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
It's a long story, but I'll try to keep it brief. My Wife fell and broke her arm while we were on site at Epinal in France. Thanks to a Dutch camper who fortunately spoke fluent French, we got her to hospital which was undergoing renovation, horrendous - trollies in corridor - 34' heat. I phoned CC who simply told us to keep them informed - no offer of assistance which fortunately, thanks to Dutch guy, we didn't need. I speak some French, but not good enought to cope with medical terms. Doctor took 2 sets of X-rays trying to decide whether to operate on her break (a proximal humerus fracture) As soon as he discovered we were on our way home, he gave her a pain-killing drug (using a sugar cube!) and told us to get home as soon as we could and go to hopital there. Because the break was right at the top of her arm, no plaster could be applied and all she got was a sling. He was very busy, so scrawled a few lines on a discharge sheet, describing the injury as a broken shoulder, and sent us away. Back on site, I tried to contact CC, but woman dealing was supposedly on her lunch and nobody else wanted to know. After about an hour (now 16:00 local time), she did ring back and told me to fax the discharge sheet. I did this from Reception on my way to the Pharmacy for prescription pain-killers. On my return, wife was in tears. CC had rang back and told her just to enjoy rest of holiday and catch booked ferry (4 days away). CC refused to speak to Dutch guy, had not seen X-rays and hadn't contacted hospital. I phoned CC again and was told that lots of people break things and mangage to get on with their holidays. I asked quite how a woman in intense pain, with no supporting plaster and who, at that point, couldn't dress herself, wash herself or eat without assistance was supposed to enjoy a holiday, especially in a caravan with low seat backs which offered no support for her injury. I told them we were going home and I would pay for the ferry change myself and take it up with them when I got home. At that point, she went off to consult somebody and eventually they very reluctantly agreed to pay for the ferry change (around 250GBP) stressing that it was a one-off and that they would not entertain any claim for subsequently incurred expenses or loss of holiday. At home it took British doctors a couple of days to decide that an operation to pin the fracture was not necessary, but it was touch and go. The admitting nurse winced when she saw the strength of the pain-killers which the French hospital had prescribed. So, in the end, CC did the right thing, but they caused us immense distress and gave us very little in the way of support. My subsequent letter of complaint was intially dealt with by the very people I was complaining about and then by the immediate boss (who mis-translated the discharge note to support his point of view). Unsurprisingly, they refused to admit that they might have got it wrong. We would have been happy if someone had simply said sorry. The Director General simply passed things to other people and there appears to be no independent complaints set-up within CC. My conclusion is that RP might be good at dealing with breakdowns, etc, but on medical matters, they adopt the same approach as commercial companies and simply try to wriggle out of their responsibilities. We automatically insured with RP for many years before this, but fortunately, other than a cancellation had no cause to test them.
Sorry about the length, but you did ask.

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
My xtrail is insured with Marks & Spencer. It costs £294 and includes insurance for European trips and full UK and European breakdown and recovery (through the RAC) including the caravan, this seems good value to me. My caravan is insured seperately through Saga

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
As you may know, I'm a great fan of older cars, never having had a new one in my life, and this presents a problem when I want to go globe-trotting. None of the major recovery companies will cover cars over ten or twelve years old! Some say they will, but then invoke the value clause, whereby if the cost of repatriation exceeds the value of the car, then its tough luck, and your car stays there.
However if you are running an older car, try the Classic car insurers; most of them include Euro recovery in the premium.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts