European Trip

Jun 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi there.In April next year I hope to set off on a three month tour of Europe. Can any one suggest any places that are not to be missed?I am not very keen on Spain and have thought of heading via France Germany Austria Italy into Croatia.Nothing is cast in stone so any siggestions would be gratefully recieved. Any tips would also be useful. Nigel

G

I am assuming that as you are travelling April - June that getting a good sun tan is not top of your priority list. Although it will be warm the temperature will average probably awful at the Channel Coast up to pleasantly warm in Croatia. I assume then that taking in the 'sights' is what you hope to do and there it all depends on your desires. Probably a good guide book will tell you the 'sights' that you wish to see.

You will be in Euroland except for Croatia so money issues are simpler. However, as you will have noticed the exchange rate for a Pound to Euro is virtually parity nowadays and costs are also going up on items in Euroland, so plan ahead for your expenses. The rate between the Croatian Kunah and the Euro is pretty static.

At that time of the year sites should be pretty quiet but just check that they are all open especially in April. As you go further into Croatia you may find some sites are not really set up until nearly the end of May, although I am sure those near big towns will be OK. Roads in Europe of course are good and you will also find the motorway set up in Croatia excellent. Fue is as easy to come by as anywhere else. The people are very friendly and the scenery is great, although we preferred the countryside to the big city of Zagreb. Towards the end of your trip you will find the coast in Croatia becomes very popular especially at weekends, so traffic can be a bit more of a problem.

I have not been to Dubrovnik, but am told it is very beautiful having been rebuilt after the terrible War.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Try the www.campingcheque.co.uk, www.campingcard.com, www.touringcheques.co.uk and www.vacancesoleil.co.uk websites for 'discounts' on site fees throughout Europe. Vacancesoleil (with Soleil Cheques) cost just

G

As an addendum, you may wish to do a sidetrack. Instead of going from Austria into Italy and to Croatia that way, you could consider going from Austria into Hungary, travelling along Lake Balaton and entering Croatia at Nagykanizca. It is motorway all the way from Budapest to Zagreb and toll free in Croatia. Balaton has lots of thermal spas, excellent wines and horse riding and baeutiful scenery. The road to Zagreb is also very attractive.

No criticism whatsoever against Val, but if you do all she suggets in France you will never see anything else. It is a very long way from the Dordogne to Croatia.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Dont miss a stop at Camping Lake Bled, in Slovenia. You will find that most of Istria is very like Italy, but with 9o% German clientel. Dubrovnic is well worth the long trip, we stayed, just South, on the coast, and got the coastal water buses into Dubrovnic, its a nice trip, and no parking problems. Dont be put off by the signs of the war - many shelled and bombed apartments/hotels along the shore, the people are very friendly, if you make the effort, they are still a bit wary of strangers, I think

JimF

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Dont miss a stop at Camping Lake Bled, in Slovenia. You will find that most of Istria is very like Italy, but with 9o% German clientel. Dubrovnic is well worth the long trip, we stayed, just South, on the coast, and got the coastal water buses into Dubrovnic, its a nice trip, and no parking problems. Dont be put off by the signs of the war - many shelled and bombed apartments/hotels along the shore, the people are very friendly, if you make the effort, they are still a bit wary of strangers, I think

JimF
PS - The euro is not very popular in many shops/restaraunts, but the fuel prices on the main roads are nearly all in Euros!

JimF

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"1. Gorges de l'Ardeche and the Pont D'Arc, and if you're fit, then do try the canoe descent down the river.

Not been there

2. Millau viaduct and the Gorges of the Tarn, Dourbie and Jonte

3. The Gorge du Verdon (Provence)

Not been there

4. See St Tropez if you can - and do the Riviera - just for the experience.

5. The Pyrenees, especially early in the season where they'll be snowcapped

6. The Alps - almost anywhere.

7. Paris ought not to be missed.

It is by me!

8. The volcanic park of the Puy de Dome and Mont Dore.

9. The Camargue (for the white horses, bulls, and birdlife)

10.The Dordogne for a little slice of Britain in France, but rather nice for all that."

Done most of those and I still love the Dordogne!

G

Evans of Sprot,

Agreed, we like the Dordogne too. However my comment was that Nigel evidently wants to vist more countries than just France andhas Croatia as a target. My feeling is that even in 3 months he will be pushing it a bit unless he likes driving a lot. Visiting the Dordogne and then heading for Italy is a bit of a long haul. My feeling would be to make a choice one way or the other and then enjoy the long break.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts