Ever been made to feel like a fool?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Im sure we all have tales to tell about other people doing stupid things with their caravans and equipment, but how many of us will admit to doing it ourseleves. I consider myself to be handy with the toolbox and experienced around caravans, but I really dropped the ball on this one.

I had a Swift Celebration with the basically useless Nord Electronica Alarm System and Charger/Consumer Unit. As you would expect, given the reliability record of this equipment, my alarm failed and was replaced under warranty with the Sargent unit. Great. We got the van back and three days later, we were off for our annual sea and surf holiday in the West Country. As I hooked up my van and did a lights check, I saw that I had indicators and brake lights, but no tail lights. Its very tight where I live and we have a school at the end which is always blocked with cars, so being a bright day, I decided to chance my arm and stop on the motorway services and sort it out. This I attempted to do, and after two hours with the multimeter I gave up. We decided to stop into Highbridge on the way past if they could fit us in, but unfortunately they couldnt and we eventually rang a Somerset based mobile engineer who offered to sort it out if we could pop into his yard. After two hours with the multimeter he gave up and rang his boss to take a look. After two hours with his multimeter this venerable gentleman gave me an odd look and asked if the lights had ever worked. Considering this to be a stupid question, I had had the van for three years and drove a Volvo at the time, my lights being always on, I said as much to him. He asked me if I was sure and of course i got on my high horse and stood my ground. He then said they couldnt have worked as they werent actually connected.

The upshot of this was that on the NE system, the lights loom passes through the unit, on the Sargent it doesnt. The engineer who had done the repair hadnt noticed and should actually have bridge the gap. Three of us, three multimeters and six hours to work this one out. I will refrain from saying what I said to the original engineer on my return.

But I think my best moment of glory (tongue in cheek) was my very first trip out some years ago. We had at the time a Swift Milano with a second hand awning that had been extended, poles too. My old man had given me some advice about making sure the pitch was level. Arriving at Grin Low, we left the van and walked the site looking a for our choice of pitch. As it was lunchtime, there were lots of ubervanners sitting around dining, and watching me with great interest as I examined the pitch like a pro golfer. When we retuned with the van, these same people had all turned their chairs to watch what they were sure was going to be a hilarious attempt to pitch. Wise enough to notice this and being an artic man of some experience, I decided to show them some real reversing and duly did so, one arm nonchalantly out the window, sunglasses on and did the whole manouvre totally relaxed and with one hand. The groans of disappoinment were audible. Then came the awning.

We slid the canvas through the rail, and laid out the poles. As I began, a chap from across the way came over and offered to help. As he was around six feet thirteen, and I am vertically challenged, I accepted his offer with alacrity. Some hours later, with his wife having now joined us, we attempted to erect the blessed thing for the 8th or 9th time, but whatever we did, we always came up with one pole short, one of around 20 inch in length.
The disillusionment was already setting in, as was exhaustion and embarrasment. The melamine dining club was now loving every minute of this. We tried once more, my new chum of lofty proportions now taking the job of foreman and pointing out what went where. Yet again, the damn thing was a pole short, and in dismay I looked at my helper. He was using the missing pole like a lecturers wand to point out each task. I could have killed him

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts