EVER INCREASING COST

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I was wondering just how many of us are now starting to feel the effects of the ever increasing cost of caravanning. We love our van and the freedom it brings but we have been astounded by the increase in site fees this year, on average last year we paid about 10 to 15 pounds per night for pitch with electric, this year we have noticed most sites are round about 15 to 20 pounds. this is one hell of an increase in one year, even the club sites are working out at about 16 pounds per night for my family. on top of this in the last 5 weeks fuel has gone up by 10 pence per litre and it now costs me 65 pounds to fill up my car with diesel. and example, this weekend friday and saturday night at beacon fell 22.50 per night and 45.00 for fuel, thats 90 pounds plus food and drink. Ive worked out that i lose around 2500 pounds per year on my van and about 3000 per year on my car add my site fees of around 2000 per year and my fuel bill of around 2500 per year and the total is 10000 pounds per year. As i said we love our van and the freedom but we are now starting to question whether we would be better off buying a static van and using the trains more, (i work on the railways and get free travel. I was just wondering as i said if anyone else is starting to count the cost and also i wonder what the effect will be on the value of vans if fuel keeps going up at the rate it is, i heard on the radio recently that the money men expect the cost of a barrel of crude to double by christmas, thats 1.80 per litre or 126.00 to fill a 70 litre tank.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Travel costs on UK roads are (I think) the most costly in europe but that does not include the tolls on the EU motorways.

The problem is that aviation fuel is not taxed but car fuel is.

If we still had a young family a package tour to Spain or other sunny part of the EU would be better value than caravanning.

Only by not using the 'van in high season and not going too far (we cannot anyway as we have to leave a disabled relative behind) does the caravan become viable for the odd weekend break.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jesus H Christ, John G!

If its not depressing enough, having finished my annual holiday (yes, that's another year till we can have another two weeks bliss), you go and spout that! Thanks! Now where did I put those happy pills.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hang on, you forgot to mention insurance, servicing, and the loss of 17.5% vat on a new van.Depreciation is on average 10% per year. Then there's top tank additive, blue toilet fluid, gas, caravan cleaners, new tyres.... oh and don't forget all those accessories you don't need but keep on buying !!!!!!

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
John i agree with what you are saying the cost of the fuel to put in the car is a little pricey to say the least and the sites are not always what they are cracked up to be on the other hand we have taken up rallying and find it very affordable and friendly a average weekend costing

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
DAVE, You are right i totally forgot the service at 170.00 the insurance at 475.00 2 bottles of gas at 12.00 each and the fluids at 7.00 each, cleaning fluid 2 x fenwicks a year at 10.00 and the 200.00 per year for the tracker. add another 893.00 to my original post.

JON, I really hope you are right about the fuel, i heard it on the radio a few weeks ago that they expected the price to double and not too long ago i noticed that the train company i work for was re-opening the rail fuel delivery line, on asking the superviser said they where concerned that the fuel protests could start again and fuel would have to come by rail again instead of by road. yep you read right even though we own the railways we have the fuel delivered by road.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts