Ex Display / Show Vans

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Am on the point of buying a new van - have shopped around umpteen dealers and have been offered almost the same cash deal everywhere - except one dealer who has offered me a 2009 model at almost £1,000 less - other dealers tell me this must be an ex show model, and one has said "don't buy it - you will be buying a £1,000 worth of trouble - it will have had 10yrs wear in a week at a show - particularly the floor is likely to de-laminate" Question has anyone bought similar ? If they have did you have had any problems ? It is such a good deal that I am sorely tempted but am willing to listen to those who have more experience !

Thanks in advance

Jon

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi Jonathan

Ask the dealer if it is a show van ,he has to tell you its history by law as a he cant sell a show van as new when its not.

At least it will put your mind at rest.

G

Not quite sure the whole meaning of 10 years wear in a week. Yes, it has probably had a lot of people inside and the cupboards opened, but if any have been damaged then they will have been replaced. Even brand new vans can have damage before sale. The beds, cooking facilities and toilet have not be used (at least I hope not. It may have been towed to a Show but that is all the mileage. The van as built is designed to have people in it so i doubt any delaminating will have occurred. The van will be sold with a Warranty of some sort.

It all depends on you, and your feelings towards the van itself and the dealer. If you like the van and it looks good to you, then decide if the price is right. If not, walk away but remember a new 2009 van is probably going to be more expensive and you wait on delivery.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Not quite sure the whole meaning of 10 years wear in a week. Yes, it has probably had a lot of people inside and the cupboards opened, but if any have been damaged then they will have been replaced. Even brand new vans can have damage before sale. The beds, cooking facilities and toilet have not be used (at least I hope not. It may have been towed to a Show but that is all the mileage. The van as built is designed to have people in it so i doubt any delaminating will have occurred. The van will be sold with a Warranty of some sort.

It all depends on you, and your feelings towards the van itself and the dealer. If you like the van and it looks good to you, then decide if the price is right. If not, walk away but remember a new 2009 van is probably going to be more expensive and you wait on delivery.
Thanks for the advice - I think the negative dealer comments may have been a bit of "Sour Grapes" - but having been to the NEC and seen how many people cram themselves in one van I can understand about the floor possibly getting stressed.

I guess you pay your money and take your choice - but I will take the advice about getting the History !

Many thanks

Jon

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I think above all you need to view the actual van you are considering before any agreement of sale is entered into.

Its ok looking at a similar model on the dealer forecourt but its not the one you will actually tow away , see that van first before deciding.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've been given the same delamination story by a dealer in Devon. Same dealer perhaps.

I concluded that a display or show van is decidely second hand despite not being used to cook family breakfast or sleep in.

So if you want to buy a second hand van,

G

On a show van I doubt that the plumbing, cooker, fridge or much if any of the electrics have been used. If the caravans fixtures and fitting appear to be the same as the "new" model is there really a problem.

As for delamination of the floor I've always been lead to believe that floor delamination comes about due to flexing as the caravan is travelling and the combination of water from the road and climate effects as well as floors age and people walking on it.

If the caravan is a show model and appears to be much the same as the new model I would probably go for it.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "As for delamination of the floor I've always been lead to believe that floor delamination comes about due to flexing as the caravan is travelling and the combination of water from the road and climate effects as well as floors age and people walking on it."

Unfortunately I think you have been misinformed.

Floor delamination, in the vast majority of cases, affects only the top part of the floor sandwich, and is caused by weight on the floor which, being relatively thin plywood, flexes and compresses the foam insulating layer.

When the bond between plywood and foam is broken, the plywood is able to flex more as more people walk on it, compressing the foam even more.

It is absolutely nothing to do with road water, unless that water is entering the van, or it is one of the minute number which have lower floor problems, even then that would only account for delamination at the sides of the floor, not as in most cases, the central aisle area where it gets all the walking done.

If the caravan flexing as it is being driven along is a cause I would expect to see every caravan on the road with delamination, which is , patently, not the case.

Age is only relevant to the bond in very old vans.

So, in essence, if a show van has had lots of people walking around inside, of varying weights, there is a possibility that delamination will happen much more quickly than one which is not a show van.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Again thanks to all for your comments - I think the point Damien has just made is what the 'losing' dealer was referring to - if hundreds of people have tramped all over the van the floor has taken a hell of a beating compared with normal usage - still I am going to find out the vans history and then make a decision, after all a

G

Quote "As for delamination of the floor I've always been lead to believe that floor delamination comes about due to flexing as the caravan is travelling and the combination of water from the road and climate effects as well as floors age and people walking on it."

Unfortunately I think you have been misinformed.

Floor delamination, in the vast majority of cases, affects only the top part of the floor sandwich, and is caused by weight on the floor which, being relatively thin plywood, flexes and compresses the foam insulating layer.

When the bond between plywood and foam is broken, the plywood is able to flex more as more people walk on it, compressing the foam even more.

It is absolutely nothing to do with road water, unless that water is entering the van, or it is one of the minute number which have lower floor problems, even then that would only account for delamination at the sides of the floor, not as in most cases, the central aisle area where it gets all the walking done.

If the caravan flexing as it is being driven along is a cause I would expect to see every caravan on the road with delamination, which is , patently, not the case.

Age is only relevant to the bond in very old vans.

So, in essence, if a show van has had lots of people walking around inside, of varying weights, there is a possibility that delamination will happen much more quickly than one which is not a show van.
I was told that newer modern laminated floors have improved due to using more advanced materials.

You have misreprsented my post, delaminatiuon is or can be caused by a combination of things according to manufacturers.

A couple at ten stones would expect little trouble compared to people mine and my wifes size using a caravan with children.

Caravan floors do not always delaminate where there is foot traffic, I've also helped repair two where that was the case.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi again - just to let you know that I was very greatful for all the advice - Have bought the van, turns out not to be a show or display model but a brand new 2009 one - Fantastic Deal !!! Can't wait to get my hands on it in March !

All the best

Jon

G

Congratulations, I hope it meets all you wish.

However, why are you waiting till March? If it is available, and you have bought it, take it home. If it is a new van off the assembly line, then you did well.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the good wishes scotch lad - basically am not taking it straightaway because we won't be using it until the end of March and I figured 'why pay for an extra months storage'

Yes I really feel happy with the deal - with a list price of over

G

My storage is charged on an annual basis so it would make no difference to me. However, you are obviously insuring it yourself, and if it is stored at a dealership just be careful. If for any reason they went bust then your van could be 'confiscated' by Receivers for being on the premises.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts