Excel 640

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
We are thinking of buying an Excel 640 now that it has a low tranverse bed. Has anyone any experience of owning an Excel and what do you think of them. Is the payload sufficient for two people that travel a lot? Is the 100hp engine powerful enough? It seems strange that they put them on a 3300 chassis instead of the 3500 lower camper chassis. I guess it is a money saving exercise although British Vans seem more expensive than continental.

R

RobGanley

Hi Baloo
We ran an Excel 600B and reported on it in the magazine for six months a couple of seasons ago, and our testers were very impressed by it.
Check out our review on this website. Go to the 'Find a Motorhome' panel on the left, enter Auto-Trail as make, and click Go!
Our model had more than 600kg of payload. How much payload do you need? As a rule of thumb, we'd suggest considering the weight of each passenger you plan to tour with, and add 100kg per person. The total should be the minimum payload you look for when buying your next motorhome.
We found the 100hp engine plenty powerful enough for a compact 'van of this size, even in full touring trim.
Re the weight, there are strategies to uprate motorhome chassis. Some manufacturers can do this for you on the new motorhomes they offer, otherwise companies such as SV Tech can do this for a charge.
Cheers
Rob
editor, Practical Motorhome

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Hiya Baloo - I wonder if you ever bought the Excel 640.
I bought one last august and am generally very pleased.
Motorhoming weekends and the odd week away was fine in our previous "make-up" bed but we also do extended touring for 3 months at a time. So, a fixed bed was a must. Problem was, we also wanted an oven and the two rarely come together - enter the Excel Range. Initially to keep length down I wanted a 600B but got a deal I couldn't refuse on a 640G - boy. am I glad I did.
The "low" garage bed is fine to get in and out of and the consequential storage is fantastic - be aware though that there is a weight limit in the garage of abut 130Kg but great for lightweight bulky stuff.
Mine came with a couple of rooflight leaks which were soon sorted by my local Autotrail dealer even though I didn't buy from them.
Radio reception is diabolic with the aerial being in the passenger side wing mirror - get a "proper" mast aerial fitted and all is fine.
The TV location isn't ideal - too high and you get a stiff neck - I changed the TV bracket for a longer/elbow bracket so TV is now at windscreen height whilst watching and up and away when driving.
I'm not a fan of the Webasto hot water and heating but it's the only compromise.
The engine power is much more than adequate and fuel economy is already almost 30mpg and will exceed that once the engine has been run in.
It's confortabl to drive and comfortable to live in.
Shower cubicle is on the small side but fine for us.
I've made a few mods to suit us and itching to get away for our first 3 month trip.
Hope this helps but if there is anything specific you wish to ask, please do so.

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the information. We did buy the Excel 640. We were ourselves going to buy the 600B until we saw the new 640 with the lower bed and thought the storage was much better. Since collecting it on the 1st November, we had it run into within the first half an hour whilst filling up with diesel and now the bad weather is here the Webasto heating controls are playing up and we have been unable to dump the water from the boiler very worrying when the temperature is -8 degrees! Our dealer is not allowed to fix it and it has to go to a Webasto dealer for it to be looked at. They are coming to collect it tomorrow.
Ours is a new 2011 model so the TV is now situated by the door and much better for viewing although you cant watch with feet up lounging as the front passengers seats dont swivel all the way round and there is nothing to lean against. Several of the cupboard doors keep swinging open and the fresh water cap does not lock. The dealer says you are bound to get these problems, Why?
Our Chausson never had any problems, looking back through magazines it seems that it is only the British vans that have initial problems. It is like the old British Leyland days, why do people put up with it.
As for the engine it is only just adequate, I do miss the extra 30bhp and the extra gear. At the moment it is probably doing 5 miles per gallon less than my old van. I did ask the dealer if he still had it but unfortunately it has already been sold.

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Baloo, you absolutely don't have to put up with it! Go to your dealer and tell them you want the defects cleared up under the warranty. You have a raft of consumer protection legislation behind you. If they still try to fob you off, ask them to put it in writing and then mention "Trading Standards". That will usually work! Or tell them you're going to name them and their crap service on a motorhoime forum. They might not like the bad publicity.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
SteTomo said:
Or tell them you're going to name them and their crap service on a motorhome forum. They might not like the bad publicity.
Can we actually do that on here then? Over on the Dark Side (Warners/OAL
smiley-laughing.gif
!), threads get pulled very quickly if they name and shame dealers. The moderators there tell us that forum hosts are legally responsible for everything that appears. If that's really the case, then I'd expect Haymarket would also veto any naming and shaming.

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
The dealer is sorting it and in fact have been very good, it is just that the problems should not be there in the first place. It does not do much for your faith in British products.

R

RobGanley

Tony's right. 'Naming and shaming dealers' - defaming or libelling anyone for that matter - is against the rules on this or any Forum. Check out our Terms and Conditions (the red link at the bottom of the page) for more on this.
By all means share opinions on the merits and shortfalls of products or services, but at risk of getting horribly technical, any 'statement that exposes a person to hatred, ridicule or contempt, or causes him to be shunned or lowers them in the estimation of right-thinking members of society, or disparages them in their office, profession or trade, is defamatory'. Published defamation in any media, including on the internet in this Forum, is libel, and as publisher and host of this forum, we just can't allow it. Which means we'll un-publish it.
So please don't.
I hope this doesn't stop you all having fun on the Forums though.
Thanks
Rob Ganley
Editor, Practical Motorhome

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification there Rob. Does that mean that as long as we confine ourselves to factual accounts of what has happened to us, we're ok, but if we start expressing opinions about those involved, we're over the line?
(By the way, well done for being around at 17.45, today of all days!)

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if it came across as me inciting abuse or ridicule of a dealer or individual. What I meant was that they should tell their tale and include their name or company, not just slag them off!
Surely it would only be the same as a magazine or telly programme giving a honest description of a service or a write up of a poor product?

R

RobGanley

Hi Tony and SteTomo
Yes, as a rule of thumb, it's fine to express an opinion based on the facts of your own experience - eg, 'I think the water tank is just too big / small for xx people and 5mm/10mm/50mm screws are too small/big for the job in my opinion'. But to follow this up and express opinions which defame somebody, for example 'which means joe bloggs or xxx manufacturer or xxx dealer is a complete waste of space / untrustworthy / unprofessional, etc' is a step over the line into libellous territory.
If you take a look at the Forum Etiquette link at the bottom of the page, it says 'You may not transmit complaints about named companies or caravan parks. Such individual issues should be taken up with the company direct.'
I'm afraid they're the rules.
No harm done this time, it's a learning curve for all of us!
Regards
Rob
Editor, Practical Motorhome

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, here's an update on my Excell 640G after 1.5 years and 9000 miles.
1st of all I'm very lucky to have a fantastic Marquis Motorhomes on my doorstep who are the Autotrail agents.
Now, I've used the van for week and weekend trips in UK plus 3+ months Feb - May touring France Spain and Portugal - mostly off grid.
This was made possible by a battery to battery charging system fitted by VanBitz Taunton (great company) and Gaslow Refillable LPG tanks - refilled all over Spain France Portugal and Uk with no probs.
During this trip my Webasto heating packed up completely having had intermittent faults for some time in the past. Fortunately the hot water continued working.
On my return home, Marquis involved a local webasto Yacht expert(!!!) and the problem was sorted once and for all - it wasn't a Webasto fault but an Autotrail fitting fault!!!!!! Damaged wiring loom by a careless fitter!
Anyway - all has been fine now and I'm a complete convert to the Webasto heating/Hot water system - so long as you fit a timer so the hot water heater comes on an hour before you get up - it's so economical it's really worth it.
MPG - the van has averaged 30+ mpg gentle/sensible driving - who wants to race a 6.4 metre shed on wheels!
Power - I still feel the 2.2 is plenty man enough and happily trucked itself up and down the Spanish mountains no problem - even did almost 90mph when I was forced to!
No other problems to speak of - all in all I'm now very happy with the van which will do us now for about 10 years.

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Blimey was it really over 4 years ago that we bought the Excel 640, I'd almost forgotten the nightmare!!
We only had ours for 6 months and we couldn't stand the breakdowns and the bits falling off and went back to a Chausson. Life was happy ever after.

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Well Baloo - glad you're enjoying your Chausson.
I'm glad also to report that now after 4.5 years/ 27000 miles there have been no further faults with the Excel - due mainly to having found an excellent independent motorhome garage that looks after me and my van. Regular servicing and preventative maintenence :)

TRENDING THREADS