Expensive camping

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Is it just me or is camping getting significantly more expensive? Just back from four nights at Bunree with one child costing over £100 and then three nights at Glenmore by Loch Morlich with two children again costing about £100. I'm sure it wasn't so long ago that £15 pound per night was the average. Slightly skint Iona.

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
That's a rip-off, you must pitched on imported grass, or did the toilets have gold taps, the chances are owners will charge what they can get away with, its as simple as that.

May 22, 2008
Visit site
I agree as well. We are a family of 4 including infants, 1 is just over 3 and a lot of parks are charging for him even they he'll use very little facilities (no pun intended) and ridiculous amounts for the dog. At the moment we are going for service pitches as the other child is a 6 week old baby (starting them off young)and the toing and froing between taps and sinks is a bit of a nightmare at the moment. I say vote with your feet, if you don't want to pay then don't go to the expensice sites.

G

I think you have to look at it slightly differently. Yes, site fees are rising, as are most things in our life. These are due to a number of things from inflation, energy costs down to just greed. However, I do not think anyone can accurately state that caravanning is a cheap hobby. It is certainly cheaper than staying in hotels, but depending on your use, and distance travelled, it can be expensive per day on site.

Buy a

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
simple economics of supply and demand. The weak pound makes foreign trips more expensive, uncertainty about the future and worries about job security have seen a sharp rise in stay in the UK holidays.

As demand increases so does the opportunity to make money.

If demand falls , which it may this year but certainly next year,then pitch fees will drop as site owners will need to encourage campers.

This is called Capitalism.

Nov 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi everyone,isn,t it funnyas I was thinking how the cost of vanning is for ever rising well above the cost of living,this thread appears.

There is a caravan and camping site quite near where I live,really expensive on low season

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Well it seems to be quite expected .... The site owners also have rising costs ... fuel to heat the water has risen, fuel to power the mowers has risen, rates have risen, electricity has risen, wages have risen, everyone demands more from the sites .. that costs more to provide ..

It is simply extremely shortsighted to think that all the rising costs YOU face everyday don't apply to site owners... sometimes their rises are far larger, as businesses, than you pay on a domestic front.

In other threads folks are demanding that waste points be "remodelled" to make life "easier", that showers and toilets are mended within 15 nanoseconds of them breaking, etc etc ... just where is the money for that to come from ... ???

These sites are not charities .. they are businesses.

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife and i have owned our 60 pitch park for nearly 20 years, and in this last few years our costs have risen dramatically. Business rateable values were reviewed last year, ours went up by 27%. I know other parks whose rateable value doubled. Our electricity went up by 18%. We are not on mains gas so the cost of the LPG we use to heat the water for the showers, etc, has risen by 22% since last year. Insurance, telephone, petrol have all risen by more than inflation.We cannot absorb increases of that size.

Our high season price this year for 2 people, car, caravan or tent, with electric hookup is

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As newbies, we're looking at from a slightly different position and we think that the cost of camping and caravanning is relatively cheap. For instance, we're away this weekend (2 adults and 2 kids) for 32 quid (exc. Diesel). In our eyes this is much more preferrable as it's about a fifth of the price of a family room in a hotel for a weekend.

The cost of keeping the kids occupied would be the same irrespective of the accommodation and the additional cost of diesel (c.25-30%) for towing doesn't bump the price up that much.

I suppose it's all relative and depends on your previous experiences.

Nov 2, 2006
Visit site
Well it seems to be quite expected .... The site owners also have rising costs ... fuel to heat the water has risen, fuel to power the mowers has risen, rates have risen, electricity has risen, wages have risen, everyone demands more from the sites .. that costs more to provide ..

It is simply extremely shortsighted to think that all the rising costs YOU face everyday don't apply to site owners... sometimes their rises are far larger, as businesses, than you pay on a domestic front.

In other threads folks are demanding that waste points be "remodelled" to make life "easier", that showers and toilets are mended within 15 nanoseconds of them breaking, etc etc ... just where is the money for that to come from ... ???

These sites are not charities .. they are businesses.
Hi Nigel,would you pay

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts