Expensive Number Plates... Deleted Topic

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Martyn, do you really think a burglar would go to the trouble of using the dvla for the info ?. he would just follow them home then rob them another day if he wanted.

I'm not too sure if the dvla would give the info out though, they may i just don't know as it is a bit dodgy in my eyes.

Even if they did i doubt they would continually give the same person details of others over and over again unless you had a very good reason like Diane does with a garage.

May 10, 2007
Visit site
We thought this was a public forum.

If an owner of an expensive or any personal number plates does not want their private number or registration plate name derivative to be public knowledge are they not defeating that by firstly buying the number plate and secondly by using the vehicle on the public highway.

If you buy a private plate are you not shouting out who you are whilst on the road. A lot of private plates advertise companies or services.

Not having seen the deleted posts, why is their a problem putting a private number on a public forum when the number is for use on the public highway?

I'm just curious as I see a really nice on quite often and I've seen pedestrians and motorists photographing it with their phones, I guess to send to others.

Ria

May 31, 2007
Visit site
I phoned the police recently because there was a car parked across my driveway, they took the reg. and said it wasn't stolen, but they couldn't tell me the name because of Data Protection Legislation, but they asked my address, and then told me it was registered to someone within a few number of my house. Turned out to be a near neighbour, though I had never seen the car before, nor did again, curious, a City of London register minicab registered to a home address in Birmingham !!!

May 10, 2007
Visit site
I think I understand why Frank.

On early morning TV News reports on Traffic flow you can often identify vehicles and number plates in the queues.

A well known comedian had a number starting COM some years ago and probably still does, our motor cycle hero used a number starting with B on his Rolls Royce.

I just don't understand why such a display of who a person is by displaying it on a car on our roads could cause a problem on a public forum especially when some spend many thousands of pounds to stand out from the crowd and not be anonymous!

Ria

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Apparantly at one time the Metal Box Company offered Max Bygraves to name his price for the registration MB 1. They obviously wanted it for their Managing Director at the time.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Ria, I understand what you are saying and totally agree with you but this is a forum run by a company. They have Mod 2 to moderate it and because Mod 2 has the means/authority to delete it he can do as he pleases, whether he is right or wrong :O)

The reason given why it was deleted beggars belief, I don't think a great deal of thought went into the matter.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Back on the original subject I just picked up this months practical classics magazine full from cover to cover of some very expensive old cars all clearly showing their numbers, surely a magazine would pixel them out if it was so easy to trace them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts