Expensive Number Plates... Deleted Topic

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh, that's a shame mod.

Can you identify a person by their number plate then? How do you do that? I'll understand if we are not allowed to have the answer to my question posted.

Lisa

May 12, 2006
Visit site
You can't identify people by a Number Plate. Every Sunday the Newspapers are full of 1000s of them for sale. I would also have thought that people who go around with a Number Plate of a very personal nature do it because they want to be Identified ???

Frank

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Diane,

I thought it was quite a bit more than a fiver. To test it out I will request this Information from the DVLA tomorrow using Val's reg. I will let you know how I go on,

ps not doubting you just going to see how easy it actually is

Frank

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Ok. Don,t ask for the owners details, Just the car detail. It will give you the last registered keeper. Ok.

They may ask why you want to know so make something up.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Brian, They will give you the same details as the give me when i am searching for a driver who has driven off from my garage without paying. Costs me a fiver to find out they are fake plates.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would have thought there should be a valid reason for requesting this information and I think Frank might come a bit unstuck asking for his wife's details - it would give me the impression of being a little sinister. Also under the Data Protection Act although the registration is not a person but an item, the name and address of the person associated with the number plate would be covered by the act. I think Europarc and other car parking companies are registered with the DVLA for obtaining this information. Likewise the car clamping fraternity are supposedly registered.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
No you can't Lisa but you could "clone" the car if you had the details.

But then again you could do that by sitting in tesco's car park.

Brian TAJ470R
The last time we got a number plate we need owe log book with use to show evey thick is right and we only paid

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is possible to have a number plate made up without all the necessary paper work. Just buy the stick on letters and reflctive white/yellow plate and say it is for a sign for a reserved car parking space at work. You will get away with it - I know a few people who have done this without any further enquiries.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is possible to have a number plate made up without all the necessary paper work. Just buy the stick on letters and reflctive white/yellow plate and say it is for a sign for a reserved car parking space at work. You will get away with it - I know a few people who have done this without any further enquiries.
should be "stick on reflective plate..."

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mr. Mod perhaps it would be better to delwte my last posting re: stick on plates as the unscrupulous fraternity may see it and use it as an aid in stealing cars, etc.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Enquiries by telephone

The DVLA operates two premium rate telephone services which give vehicle information. Calls are charged at 49 pence per minute and lines operate Monday to Friday between 8.00 am and 8:30 pm, and Saturday between 8.00 am to 5.30 pm.

DVLA's vehicle check service - telephone number 0906 185 8585

Gives details of date of registration, year of manufacture, engine capacity (cc), CO2 emissions and confirmation of colour.

DVLA's date of liability ('vehicle tax due date') line - telephone number 0906 765 7585

Provides information on the expiry date of the current tax disc. Although the vehicle record is constantly updated, it is possible that an outstanding vehicle tax application may be waiting processing and has not yet updated the vehicle record. The information given via this service will, in most instances, be correct but should not be taken as confirmation that there is a current vehicle tax in force.

Private vehicle check companies

The DVLA provides information on the registration of vehicles to certain companies for consumer protection and anti-fraud purposes.

Please be assured that no individual name or address details are provided.

The information may be added to by companies with details from the police, finance and insurance companies. The companies below are able to provide a vehicle checking service for the public and motor trade.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I would have thort any one who aks for number and letter would be needing them for a plate and I was told that is agains the law as well now.

Mark

May 5, 2005
Visit site
also many large markets have people making them up with no checks they often call them 'display' plates for show and will do non standard spacing anyone who wants to be naughty and clone can just pull them off a similar car they are often held on with sticky pads.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
The question of obtaining details of car ownership has been raised on our local BBC consumer radio programme several times and as Diane has said they will give details of the registered keeper in return for

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
I do not know the answer to this but I imagine and hope Brian is right.

I cannot get a vision out of my mind of a burglar sitting in Tesco's car park looking for Mr and Mrs Wrinkly to come in to do their shopping. He knows because they are old that they live alone or are vulnerable and of course he also knows they are not at home at the moment. So he rings up DVLA to get their address if necessary claiming the car in question is causing an obstruction, suspected of being dumped, in an accident or whatever and is told their address. He, or a colleague can then happily go and rob them.

Same scenario on a camp site with Mr and Mrs Average and their two point four children and dog, house almost certainly empty and probably will be for a week.

The system would be open to so much abuse it beggars belief so I really cannot see that our safety and security is compromised like this..or is it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts