Expert advice ????????

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
In the Q & A section of the September issue of PC a reader reports that the indicator light on his Thetford cassette has stopped working and has been told the batteries may need changing. He asked for the location of the batteries. The reply makes no mention of battery location and instead suggests the magnet has come adrift in the cassette and " the only way to fix it is to call in a service engineer with small hands". I can't help feeling it might be a better, and considerably cheaper option, to try a couple of AA batteries first. :blink:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most of the more recent toilets do not have battery powered indicator lights,they are powered by the vans leisure battery.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's huge numbers of Thetford toilets out there that DO use a couple of AA batteries to operate the warning light, it's in a little holder normally visible when the external door is opened and the cassette removed.

They'll last several years so never get replaced at service and only noticed when they eventually fail and not give the required notice of a full cassette - usually in the early hours of the morning!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I know nothing of the battery issue. However, I usually tell how full the cassette is by looking down through the hole. :sick:
mel

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Mel.
I find the warning light is one 'red alarm' that can be safely ignored. I/we find there's lots of use after the light has come on. In fact the light is about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The led on our cassette failed a couple of times. Rather than fitting another I mentioned it to the fitter doing the annual service and he told me that he has seen a lot of led failures and he thinks its due to voltage fluctuations. he changed the supply to the led to a couple of AA batteries and it has worked OK ever since.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If it does have the batteries they should be fairly obvious. Our last caravan had these right at the front of the locker directly underneath the drain pipe for the upper tank. Not the best design as you had to take care not to wet the batteries when you drained it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts