Explorer group(stability problems)

May 2, 2005
Visit site
has anyone had any stability problems towing either crusader aurora,compass rally 534,buccaneer argosy.elddis avante534,elddis odyssey 534 up to and including 2004 models, all rear end fixed bed, side/rear end shower/toilet. All fitted with BPW V tech axle.

Tony EMAIL ludwig820613@aol.com

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony

I have been caravanning for just over 1 year now. I tow an Elddis Avante 534 with a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 (petrol). I must say that the whole thing feels very stable indeed after 8 trips and about 1,200 miles. I can't compare with anything else, of course, because I have never towed with any other combination. I checked the match on whattowcar.com and it comes out as a perfect match, even though if fully loaded (which I never have been)it is at the top end of it's towing limit. However, the noseweight issue does concern me as I have real problems getting it down to the 80kg maximum for the 2.4 Santa Fe. I'm even considering switching to a Freelander TD4 because of this very issue. Regards. JohnJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony - you usually have to give more detail than this to get good replies.

The way I read your topic is that there are problems with end bedrooms on compass Caravans. if this is so plse let us know!!

Dec 6, 2005
Visit site
We bought an elddis 2005 storm and the side panels have creased elddis say we wound the legs down too hard. Its now going to court and we been fighting for 12weeks good luck if you buy it

This van wee have got is a v-tec email me alan.hardy3@ntlworld.com

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan, if you can crease the sides by winding the legs down to hard what chance would there be with the van withstanding normal road pitchiong and bumping?

I am surprised Elddis are infereing their vans are so flimsy!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Alan & ray (C ),

I could be wrong but my understanding is that steadies and their mounting arms are usually supplied by a different suppliers to AlKO or BPW as they are usually make/model specific in order to get pitching/ weight distribution and unladen weight ok . They certainly are on our caravan

We have a BPW V tec on our Dethleffs and it's touch-wood been problem free. I would believe problems people have with their vans and stability are more down to

1) Poor weight distribution caused by the internal layouts (end kitchens come to mind)

2) Poor loading and coupling heights.

Good luck with your claim, I take it that you've appointed an independent qualified engineer if you've purchased via finance you might have some advantage there. It's (sadly) certainly one of the more unusual warranty claims I've heard this year. Out of interest where does you dealer stand on the issue?

Regards Monkeys Husband

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having towed for many years I have had no trouble with corner steadies. However on everyone of the vans I have owned (5 new tourers) that one of the corner steadies is harder to wind up/down. and when speaking to other vanners on site many have the same problem. I have mentioned it more than once to my dealer who shrugs his shoulder and stated that I should not have used WD to release the tight thread and regreased as he could not now claim off the manufacturer

Dec 6, 2005
Visit site
Alan & ray (C ),

I could be wrong but my understanding is that steadies and their mounting arms are usually supplied by a different suppliers to AlKO or BPW as they are usually make/model specific in order to get pitching/ weight distribution and unladen weight ok . They certainly are on our caravan

We have a BPW V tec on our Dethleffs and it's touch-wood been problem free. I would believe problems people have with their vans and stability are more down to

1) Poor weight distribution caused by the internal layouts (end kitchens come to mind)

2) Poor loading and coupling heights.

Good luck with your claim, I take it that you've appointed an independent qualified engineer if you've purchased via finance you might have some advantage there. It's (sadly) certainly one of the more unusual warranty claims I've heard this year. Out of interest where does you dealer stand on the issue?

Regards Monkeys Husband
alan & ray, up untill recently our dealership has been backing us one hundred percent untill we said that if elddis did'nt sort the van out we were going to take this matter further. we've had a private estimate to repair the van which is

Dec 6, 2005
Visit site
Alan, if you can crease the sides by winding the legs down to hard what chance would there be with the van withstanding normal road pitchiong and bumping?

I am surprised Elddis are infereing their vans are so flimsy!
ray i could'nt sgree with you more that elddis vans must be that flimsy to not be able to take everyday use that's why we diecied to post on this forum and let people know

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan, I am not a structural engineer but I have caravaned for over 20 years and owned 2 Elddis vans(XL range early 90's) and never had any problems. I rallied regularly and pitched in rough fields and on uneven slopes and I never experienced or heard of any others having the problem.

I still believe that if the van can be distorted by use of the corner steadies, when lowered with a normal winding handle, that there is a structural fault with the van and it is not fit for purpose.

I think you are looking at an independant report and sueing the dealer if you have no joy with the nice approach. It is though better if you start putting every thing in writing now and keeping records etc.

At times like this you wish that PC would take individual cases of problems on board in the same manner a Motor magazine will when people have problems with cars that garages and manufacturers cannot resolve. It would make interesting reading.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan, I am not a structural engineer but I have caravaned for over 20 years and owned 2 Elddis vans(XL range early 90's) and never had any problems. I rallied regularly and pitched in rough fields and on uneven slopes and I never experienced or heard of any others having the problem.

I still believe that if the van can be distorted by use of the corner steadies, when lowered with a normal winding handle, that there is a structural fault with the van and it is not fit for purpose.

I think you are looking at an independant report and sueing the dealer if you have no joy with the nice approach. It is though better if you start putting every thing in writing now and keeping records etc.

At times like this you wish that PC would take individual cases of problems on board in the same manner a Motor magazine will when people have problems with cars that garages and manufacturers cannot resolve. It would make interesting reading.
Alan, sorry I forgot that you are already at the court stage. good luck let us know how you get on.Ray

Oct 8, 2005
Visit site
We bought an elddis 2005 storm and the side panels have creased elddis say we wound the legs down too hard. Its now going to court and we been fighting for 12weeks good luck if you buy it

This van wee have got is a v-tec email me alan.hardy3@ntlworld.com
Hi Allan,

Is it your supplying dealer you are taking to court or the explorer group?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts