Ext Hard disk crashed

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Win 7 does not detect my Seagate 1TB external hard disk for some reason. I can hear the HDD whirring and the green light is on to say it is working, but as far as Windows is concerned it does not exist. The power supply to the disk is okay and so is the USB cable. I have tried reloading the software to USB ports on laptop and no luck although they recognise other USB devices. Tried another laptop and it does not recognise the HDD either.
It now seems that I need professional help to recover some files. The annoying part is that the files amount to about 200mb maximum. Can any one recommend a realiable and honest IT technician who can recover the files without charging an arm and a leg?
I was thinking to mentioning to the police that I may have indecent and illegal photos on it and hopefully they would do it for free, but then it may not work.
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I have an ext hdd that does this.I found that by moving /pressing the usb lead at the connection into the laptop and holding it at a certain position,I could get it to come on. I normally have the 'my computer' screen on.Anyone who uses an external hard drives should always use two and back up your files onto both.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Surfer,
have you tried plugging it in before switching on the laptop, occasionally some USB2 devices will not be detected if connected after the "post" phase (where the DOS legacy devices are detected) I have a card reader that does this. it works fine if it is in before switching on, but will not work if it is plugged in after windows7 has booted.
it's worth a try.
edit. oh and by the way make sure it is in a USB2 slot and not a USB1 slot it makes a differece as the data rate is different.

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
It is worth trying out different USB ports on the computer - and also a different USB cable too.
Are you using a USB splitter at all? If so - remove it.
Have you another computer you could trying linking the HDD to? This would ensure that the drive is working properly and that the fault lies in your PC.
Is the disk pre-formatted?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Abbey540 said:
It is worth trying out different USB ports on the computer - and also a different USB cable too.
Are you using a USB splitter at all? If so - remove it.
Have you another computer you could trying linking the HDD to? This would ensure that the drive is working properly and that the fault lies in your PC.
Is the disk pre-formatted?
Tried different computer and had an IT tech look at it and no joy. I now need to send it off to see if files can be recovered as apparently the auto run file has disappeared offf the hard disk. I have since found out that this is a fairly common occurence. The files are not life changing as they are personal and mainly photos except for several Word & Excel files which are important to me. I have been quoted £50 if it is only a missing "auto run" file.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts