Extension Mirrors

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I have been diligently fitting the extension mirrors to my car, I honestly cannot say they make alot of difference. I mean, theer is no way that i can see behind my caravan; I can see comfortably along each side but to the rear; not at all. How far SHOULD I be able to see; are there any legalities other thna the fact that the mirros must not extend more than 20cm wider than the width of teh caravan; mine are no where near that wide; maybe that's the problem???

Thoughts please. John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the Milenco extension mirrors and can see along the side of the van and a fair way down the road behind. That said I do use the full extension available (by undoing the top brackets) and my van is only a Ranger 470 so not huge. I cannot see directly behind the van but enough to see the car behind if it's keeping a sfe distace. Problem I have is that they wobble- despite me buying them as they won all the tests! I guess you'll never get a rock steady mirror that sticks out into the windstream being held on by clasps and straps?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Apparently the law on the use of extension mirrors is quite vague. A rule of thumb is that if you can see down the sides of your van, with or without mirrors, then you will be safe from prosecution. You do not need to be able to see behind your caravan, much the same as a truck or van driver, but if it's something you're not used to, take extra care when making a manoeuvre.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Apparently the law on the use of extension mirrors is quite vague. A rule of thumb is that if you can see down the sides of your van, with or without mirrors, then you will be safe from prosecution. You do not need to be able to see behind your caravan, much the same as a truck or van driver, but if it's something you're not used to, take extra care when making a manoeuvre.
Please remember to remove them after you unhitch as that is motoring offence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts