Extension socket

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
The side dresser in my van, ideal for the TV, kettle, charging phones etc has a single socket, so looking for a solution I came across one of these
Totally neat with 4 mains and 3 usb outlets! Also a master on/off on the top.
I am hoping that on the next trip I am not needing to constantly unplug items, and the three usb will reduce the bulk to recharge the phones.
Maybe of use to others?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have a slightly larger version of that. It's ok but I find the fact that the mains cables come out at right angles and on all four sides is a bit messy and surprisingly takes up more room than a straight one.

Maybe it's just how I position it.

Works ok though. Usb ports not that fast to charge but I'm generally not on that much of a hurry

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The side dresser in my van, ideal for the TV, kettle, charging phones etc has a single socket, so looking for a solution I came across one of these
Totally neat with 4 mains and 3 usb outlets! Also a master on/off on the top.
I am hoping that on the next trip I am not needing to constantly unplug items, and the three usb will reduce the bulk to recharge the phones.
Maybe of use to others?
The negative reviews on Amazon seem to have one thing in common and that is the plug smoking or bursting into flames?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The negative reviews on Amazon seem to have one thing in common and that is the plug smoking or bursting into flames?

That's does beg the question why are Amazon still offering it for sale doesn't it?,
Stick with the simple adapter type I linked to, nothing to go wrong!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's does beg the question why are Amazon still offering it for sale doesn't it?,
Stick with the simple adapter type I linked to, nothing to go wrong!
Amazon continue to sell many things although negative reviews may indicate they are dangerous. When checking reviews I tend to look for a common theme before purchasing as many negative reviews could be user error.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
And a common theme about smoking and/or bursting into flames is all down "user error"? Not quite the way I see it.
Apologies I was referring to any item on Amazon and not specifically the adapter in question. However a good example of looking for a theme is reading a number of posts about an item and many of the posts mentioning the same or similar defects with the item.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I don't see any CE ratings or Kite mark on this, so pass.
I know of someone that was using a cheap Chinese usb charger that set fire to his house. Too much unregulated junk on Amazon. Unfortunately Amazon has become a marketplace now, so many items are not actually sold by them, and returns become an issue at times as the seller is Polish or Chinese or whatever.
I try to make sure that I buy Amazon items to have some sort of fall back.
Case in point, last year I purchased a 12v tyre inflator from an Amazon market place trader , it failed completely on it's second use, tried to return but the trader was no longer on Amazon so I had a large paperweight

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In our Swift the 3 pin plugs are unswitched so we use a 3 way switched adaptor allows 3 sockets individually switched and has light to show which socket is switched on

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I got asked by Amazon to be a reviewer of new products coming on line. I get to keep the items after 6 months unless they ask for them back.... Which hasn't happened yet.

I'm impartial with my reviews and they range from Absolute Rubbish to Excellent.

One of the items I reviewed was a similar power block. I gave it a good review with caution.

However it's very clear to me that a lot of other people reviewing a range of products have no idea what they are talking about or haven't even bothered to try them. One guy just used to copy the words from the listing.

When I look at reviews I always start with the 3 star ones.

One guess we're 99% of the stuff comes from.

Come the end of year I'm having a table top sale at the village hall😉

Reactions: Bluetonic
Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
Shoot me down in flames but I would replace the single socket with a domestic double with USB ports on it and then cut into the wall panel next to it and add a second double socket. Then they would be safe and neater.

Reactions: GUMPY and Hutch
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I use the tall 12 socket version on the desk at home and this is where it comes into its own i think the small one may be a bit clumsy to use and the flat type would be better if you only need 4 sockets
In the van I use a neat 2 socket 2 meter extension which has coped with all our requirements for a few years

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. It is CE marked and boasts a string of safety features in the blurb. Not really room in place of or adjacent the current single outlet for a twin. For years I have used a standard 4 plug outlet. I am looking forward to charging the two mobiles and the iPad without the usual 3 pin plug adapters hogging the sockets! My only other outlet is by the front chest at floor level so out of access when the double bed is made up! I’ll update the forum if anything interesting transpires!

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
LENCENT Double Plug Adaptor with 1 USB C and 2 USB Ports, Surge Protected Multi Plug Extension Socket, 2 Way Wall Plug Extender for Household Appliances, iPhone, Smartphones, Tablets, 13A 3250W https://amzn.eu/d/054wYUPF

We use one of the above in the 'van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts