External Electrical Socket - 240 V

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stephen.

If you are familiar with the current version IEEE wiring regulations, and you are competent to apply them then go ahead, otherwise seek professional help.

Jul 3, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stephen.

If you are familiar with the current version IEEE wiring regulations, and you are competent to apply them then go ahead, otherwise seek professional help.
Yes, no problems with the electrics, just worried about drilling through the caravan itself. Not to sure how its made up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The caravan walls are a sandwich construction - outer aluminium then insulation core and the wall board on the inside. Therefore, reasonably easy to cut. Would suggest covering area with masking tape, marking out cut line, drilling a pilot hole and then using a jigsaw with a very fine blade to cut out the area for the socket.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stephen, I don't know if it is possible in your van but I have a 'wet' locker on the nearside and the socket is inside. This is handy when the awning is up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have fitted the W4 external socket to both sides of the van.The one on the door side is into the space under the wardrobe and the one on the offside is between the upper and lower fridge vents.

Make a template out of a cardboard box and cover a large area of side to avoid damage.You can cut the side easily with a pad saw and this gives more control than using a faster jigsaw

One type of the W4 boxes has a 12V socket as well and this is very handy when using a 12V tyre pump etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I decided to get a socket to use in the awning but was wary of making holes in the side of the van. I drilled a hole inside the battery box, connected the cable to an internal socket allowing enough cable to be able to pull it out of the battery box. With a rubber socket attached to the cable I now have power in the awning. When finished the cable is pushed back through the battery box with the socket in the battery box.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts