External storage (computer related)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I've almost got the wireless router working between the two pc's, I just have to get a disc tomorrow to download some drivers for the other pc and then we should be up and running.

--

I have thousands of photos on my computer and was thinking about buying an external hard drive to store them on. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? I shoot all my photos at 10m pixels and save a lot of files in photoshop format and the other as JPEGS.

Many thanks

Lisa

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
We use 400GB Maxtor and 500GB Seagate Free Agent hard drives.

Seagate own Maxtor so there is little difference and they are both plug and play and need no software disk to install or operate them. Both used for Pro Photo's.

Both easy to use as memory sticks, drag and drop or save to drive x y or what ever!

Plenty of offers around at

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I use a Network Storage Central SC101 from Netgear which I fitted with 2 500Gb drives. An excellent network storage system on my wireless network.

Steve

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Stewart you can store all sorts on hard drive, from music to customer presentations from Back to Black to Jamiroquai!

Where with film I had to be economic with use, with digital camera we can take hundreds of shots in a day, download to hard disk and edit at our leisure.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stewart

Maybe it's me having a dim moment but I've done a search on your name to see what else you have posted and there's only one post showing. I can't understand that as you've made several posts on here.

Regards

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
If you are thinking of using it on a laptop in the van you might be wise to get one that can be powered from the USB port, these usually come with 2.5in drives and are slightly more expensive.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Lisa,

There are two types of external hard disk drives, and they work in very slightly different - but important ways.

USB external drive - this is the type most people have talked about - they plug into a spare USB port on your computer and instantly become a second hard disk drive. I carry a Western Digital model with my laptop and use it to back-up business documents or projects whilst travelling, or camera images in "RAW" format - I'm into B&W digital photography.

Network external drive or NAS drive - as suggested by Meister - these become part of your home network - may have a larger capacity than the USB drive, but - and here's the important difference - a NAS drive allows multiple computers to access the drive at the same time across the network. My NAS sits on our home network, lets me save projects if I'm working on a PC or laptop, and retrieve stuff from "home" when away on business.

If you have a family that needs to access images, music or other commonly held pool of information - then a NAS drive will do that very nicely.

If it's just for you and you want to expand the storage capacity of your laptop - then a USB hard disk is the way ahead.

Robert

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
You can fit a usb attatched drive to your pc and still get access to it on the network,just share the drive.This is ok as long as all people who want to access the drive are on the same operating system ie windows/mac.

If you have different operating systems in your household NAS is the way to go.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
You can fit a usb attatched drive to your pc and still get access to it on the network,just share the drive.This is ok as long as all people who want to access the drive are on the same operating system ie windows/mac.

If you have different operating systems in your household NAS is the way to go.
Sorry forgot to add always get as much storage size as you can afford,you will be surprised how quickly you will fill a disk up

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
MIKEY the problem with doing it the way you mention is that the computer the drive is physically attached to has to be running all the time any other computer wants to access it.

Easier to use a NAS setup as I (and Rob_Jax) have mentioned.

Steve

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
MIKEY the problem with doing it the way you mention is that the computer the drive is physically attached to has to be running all the time any other computer wants to access it.

Easier to use a NAS setup as I (and Rob_Jax) have mentioned.

Steve
Meister

Yes it is easier but NAS is more expensive,if you read the replies cost seems to be the most prominant thought.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Mikey - you said "if you read the replies cost seems to be the most prominant thought."

But that doesn't mean that's the right answer for Lisa - she might need the USB device, or a NAS, or both...

Robert

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks

Many thanks for all the replies, it's appreciated.

I'm going to go for the external storage which connets by the USB port.

Lisa

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Lisa,

I use a Western Digital 500GB USB / Firewire external drive for PC and laptop back-ups. I also use this for important, but changing files, eg. Home accounts etc..

I would not consider it suitable for the long term storage of pictures, unless these were also stored elsewhere. HDs are notoriously unreliable, and although it is unlikely (but possible) my external drive and PC drives will fail simultaneously, this is a risk I take.

Have you looked at the prices for data recovery from failed discs (if it is even possible)!!!!!!!!

For long term storage of pictures I would have thought recordable CD / DVDs are currently the best option.

Enjoy your hols.

Trevor M

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tevor

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid cd's are not an option as I shoot at 10m pixels and then manipulate some of the shots in photoshop which increases their size significantly. I don't bother to compress the images.

Cd's just wouldn't be up to the job. I have about 8000 images at the moment.

Regards

Lisa

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
You should always have important data backed up in 2 places ie 2 different hard disc or if you are with BT for broadband they offer digital vault to store information.

TRENDING THREADS