F.A.O.Joby, re Chateau De LaComte

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Hi Joby,

Chateau De LaComte, well what a place! If you are looking for peace & tranquillity & a place to totally chill, this is IT!

There are 75 caravan pitches all with EHU water & drainage, so if you've got the gear no filling the aquarol or emptying the wastemaster!

The pitches are grass, but over a rocky sub soil so you'll definitely need rock pegs for your awning, the pitches are reasonably level but you will need some sort of levelling device (ramps etc) to get your van level.

The site is set in a wooded valley, very reminiscent of Devon, but hot & sunny!!!! & as there are no towns with lights anywhere near, at night there is no light pollution so the stars are brilliant.

The pool is fabulous! As is the small bar & restaurant & I can vouch for the quality of the food served in it. They do sell bread in the reception & there is a small "shop" area with very basic items available.

There is a play area for young children, but not a lot for teenagers apart from the pool, Pool table, tennis court & climbing wall.

There is only 1 shower & toilet block to serve the site, although it's a little tired it was absolutely spotless! The showers are of the push button type, & there are plenty of them, but as we were there in low season not all of them were available, however the pressure and temperature of the water was great & even at busy times there was never a queue for them & they never ran out of hot water!

Stuart & Sheila, the owners are truly a nice couple, you couldn't wish for better hosts! Their information & advice on the local sights etc was spot on!

The site is about 2 miles from the village of Carlucet, which has no shops! The nearest town with a supermarket is Gramat, about 14km away, the nearest decent supermarkets are in Gourdon, about 30km away.

The final approach to the site is via single track roads, so take care as passing places are non existent apart from the various road junctions, but I have to say it didn't cause me any problems getting to or from the site with the van in tow!

Rocamadour is the nearest tourist attraction, about 14km away; the town is built on the face of a cliff! And no photos can do it justice! And no matter which way you approach it, from either Couzou or L'Hospilalet, be sure to have the cameras & video at the ready, & the unmissable attraction, IMHO, is definitely the Eagle & birds of prey display, 8 euros each for adults but worth every centime!

The site is 578 miles from Calais & about 14hrs total time (11 driving & 3 for stops) & I did it both ways in one hit & my route from Calais was A16, A28, through Rouen, A13, A28, to Tours, A10 to Poitiers N10 to Ruffec, D740 to Confelons, D948 & N141 to Limoges, A20 to junct 56, tolls each way amounted to 73.90 euro (147.80 total) with the van in tow. The price of fuel in France will make your eyes water!!!! Diesel average was 1.56euro with petrol considerably dearer!!!!! So make sure you've got a full tank before yo leave the UK!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Thanks very much for the info GeorgeB , that was much appreciated , we cant wait to get there , there is so much to see around the Dordogne , i dont think i will fit it all in , 2 weeks is not enough really , i am glad you enjoyed it , i will let you know how we got on in september

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts