false sense of security

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a VW Caravelle automatic which I use for towing, last year in Italy I returned to my vehicle to find that a screwdriver, or similar, had been forced into a doorlock, thankfully the deadlock had prevented entry. The damage to the lock was later repaired back to it's original spec. This has got me thinking .....

As my vehicle is automatic a feature is that I cannot take the selector out of 'park' without the keys being in the ignition, (I cannot remove the keys from the ignition when not in 'park'). Am I correct in thinking that this vehicle is virtually impossible to steal without the keys, or do I have a false sense of security. The Caravelle is fitted with alarm and immobiliser through a remote keyfob. Thanks

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony,,yes,,,,,,,,you have a false sense of security.

There is NO car that is impossible to steal, keys or no keys.

If the person who wants it, wants it bad enough, he WILL have it, even if it means using a flat bed to remove it on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony, don't be fooled. The only reason your keys are gripped into the ignition is by a small pin in the barrel, which makes a cut out circuit ultimately leading to the gearbox position. If the ignition barrel is snapped off, you are left with a black box which can just be turned with a screwdriver to start the vehicle.

Having some experience of vehicle security, if i wanted yours, so to speak, id have it away in less than 2 minutes, and thats a conservative estimate.

There is no vehicle with a foolproof system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts