fao Big Roy

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi Roy, hows it going. Hows the job hunting for that hgv job, got anything yet?

Im doin well and realy getting used to driving the truck now, only one accident to date and it was with the roof of a house lol, it was a cottage and I needed alot of road to turn into a side road (didnt think about hight on a house Woops)

Boss was cool about it, on holiday from Sat, going to France for two weeks so if you dont reply by then I cant till I get back

Cheres

Kevin H

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kev, still no luck I've just about give up now I've tried every agency and been phoning around all the haulage companies including the pallet companies as you suggested and always the same answer - "you need at least 2 years experience before we will consider you"

There is loads of work for class 1 drivers in fact one of the first agencies I tried are now advertising again in the local paper desperate for drivers so I phoned them up again to remind them that I'm available and have a class 1 and they are still singing the same tune.

Such a waste of a lot of money.

Roy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Experience with big rigs, Roy? So what's a caravan if not a big trailer! Tell them you have several years of handling HGV sized outfits, and if they want a company name, tell them Elddis.

A half truth is better than no truth at all (Homer Simpson, 2001), by the time it takes to check up on you (they don't always) you'll have 3 months under your belt and better prospects.

That's what I would do, if I had the guts!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
What are you li ke at charity Roy?

Race team truckies have to drive the artic race trailers and pitch i n setting up the gear and tyres and stuff.

Some of the small t eams only employ drivers for say Thursday or Friday on to Sunday.

If you can fit in the w eekend work and are prepared to pitch in, pay is basic and the teams feed you but it will get you experience.

There are of course charities that also use HGV drivers , any in your a rea?

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi mate, sorry to hear that you have had no luck.

I know its a long shot but phone Dave the Transport manager at Evans transport in Exeter (not barnstaple)

they are always looking for class 1 drivers and I know a couple of the lads live around the country, Its general haulage so it does not matter where you live.

the only down side is that you would be away from home most of the week (thats why im not on the artics with them)i do pallet deliveries.

Send me a message in a couple of weeks ( im on holiday from tomarow) and let me know where you live, I will get the number for the local Palletforce depot so you can try them as well.

Speak soon

Kevin H

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend that you tell them porkies Roy. But by all means tell them that you haveexperince in towing caravans.

I'm afraid it's the old trap. You need to get the experience and the employer wants experienced people. How the hell they expect new truckers to get the experience off the shelf is beyond me.

Anyway, I employed an "experienced driver" once and he was the worst one for rule breaking ever. He'd drive 400 miles with no more than 10 mins at a time of stoppage on his chart. He had a 25 year accident free record and it was checkable too. Having checked his references before employing, I re-checked when I found out what he did. They all said the same, "brilliant bloke, just can't work with a tachograph", when asked why they didn't say in the first place. I was told that by law you can't give a bad reference!!

Hope you find a sympathetic employer soon Roy.

Cheers.

Steve L

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Big Roy

I used to work for a curtain side trailer company. The drivers who used to come and pick the trailers said it was hard to get in to has it seed that you need experience before you cud get a job drive but some of them said that they been drivers mates and that had help them get the experience they need.

I get some of my old paper work out that I got with some of the company's name on for sorry I have not got there phone number but you mite find them in yellow pagers.

They mite need drivers mates or they mite be will to tell you of a way you can get started and there mite be one of them next to you live.

Mark

TRENDING THREADS