FAO Lord Brakewynde

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your Lordship,

We are off in just under a week for our tour of Northern Scotland.Using Brora as one of our stops and I know you have been there.What food shops are nearby?? Unfortunately,I am one who loves supermarkets, and I know that I am not going to find too many of them!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Maureen

hope you don't mind me answering. My family is in Golspie, the next village to Brora, so we know the area quite well.

In Brora there is a Co-op which does the usual pre-packed meat and also has an off-licence. There is no longer a butcher in Brora, but there are 2 good ones in Golspie, Grants is the one I think we use. The other butcher also sells fresh fish. Golspie also has a Co-op and at least one greengrocer.

There is a very good restaurant in Brora, The Quiet Piggy. The food is excellent but quite pricey.

Dalchalm is one of our favorite sites. You can walk over the golf course onto a beatiful beach which stretches for miles. I would also recommend a drive (and a walk) behind Brora past the loch and a drive up Glen Loth.

Enjoy!

ps how's the Burgundy?

Regards

Ken

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
There's nothing large regarding supermarkets Maureen, but there is a Co-op in Brora which is o.k. We stocked up at Morrisons in Fort William before going to Brora, just topping up at the Co-op on essentials like milk and bread. I'm sure you'll like it there Maureen, it's very quiet. Where else are you stopping at?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ken,

Thank you so much for the information which will be very useful.For a moment I thought that LB had given you the job of personal assistant !!

We were away in North Wales for a week testing out the Burgundy and are more than happy with it.The bed is great,although I have to say that I miss my end bathroom which we had with the Loire,but there always has to be a compromise somewhere :0)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LB,

We are going to Newtonmore,then Brora.Up to the Halladale Inn Caravan Park at Melvich and then onto Altnaharra.

Over to Ardmair Point north of Ullapool,and then south to Invergarry ( south of Fort Augustus ).

Bunree....then Maragowan,Killin

and then home( north of Glasgow.)Just hoping that we might get some warm weather along the way. :0)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Eight stops Maureen - I thought it was only us silly enough to do that lolol. By the end of our trip we became quite proficient at setting up. How long are you going for, we went for 3 weeks.

This year, next month in fact, we have only 3 stops, Low Manesty in the Lakes, Berwick on Tweed and Bolton Abbey - North Yorks Moors. We have The Leen,Pembridge, a CL, before that though.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Three years ago I set off and visited 6 sites in 12 days, totalling over 1600 miles. Needless to say I won't be doing it again. Have a good trip, it's a fantastic part of the country with scenery you can't find anywhere else in the world. Take your duffle coat though. N'er cast a cloot 'til May's oot.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LB>

We will be away for 24days this time...Leaving in 9 days time.

Last year we started off at North Ledaig,then onto Bunree,after which we went on to Morvich and Kinlochewe....over to Culloden and then south to Blair Castle Caravan Site before heading home.We also took 3 weeks for that trip.The scenery was breathtaking.....a lot of which I had never seen before,so this is why we are now doing the very top of Scotland.Who needs to go abroad when we have such wonderful places to visit??

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I agree Maureen, theres so much of the British Isles we've still yet to see. I'm trying to persuade Her Ladyship to go to Ireland in 2007. I still haven't toured the South East (Kent, East Sussex etc.) yet or West Wales. I've lost count of the amount of times we've been to Cornwall but never stopped in Devon. We've been about 16 times to Norfolk but what we've seen of it is from a cruiser on the Yare, Bure, Ant or Thurne. It would be nice to see the other places which couldn't be reached by boat. There are places I would like to go back to, like the New Forest or visit the northwest of Scotland which we couldn't make it to last year. If I live to be 100 I might get them all covered, I can start thinking about the European mainland then ;O)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts