Farm caravan storage.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We've just this morning arranged storage for our caravan at a farm.

The storage cost is very reasonable, the caravan is undercover, secure and on hard standing away from farm machinery and animals.

The only stipulation from the farmer is that it is stored on condition that in the (highly unlikely) event of theft the loss would need to be covered by my own insurers. My insurers the C&CC have no objections to this.

It seems ideal, is there anything that I have missed or should know?

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Steve, ours is on a farm too, as you know. Ours is also undercover, in a barn - despite this, it still gets very dusty indeed, although doesn't of course get all those horrible black streaks from rain on the seals, or green algae from being outside in all weathers. But dust is much easier to wash off!! Oh, and it gets cr*pped on by pigeons nesting in the rafters *rolling eyes thingy*. So you may still want to consider putting your cover on it.

There's also the possibility that you may get mice in the van. We haven't had that problem, fortunately, as there are a couple of (very human-friendly!) farm cats who are always patrolling. But be aware, and check in the lockers every so often.

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
I also keep mine on a farm but choose not to have it undercover because of the pigeons and other infestations.And I wash it regularly so black streaks are not a problem.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Parksy

You know what you have to do. Get written confirmation from the Insurer they are happy with all aspects of the storage, eg security etc.

Let us know what they say.

Cheers

Dustydog

G

If you are happy, and the insurers are happy, then you have done everything. Try it for a while and see how things work out, and if you feel it is not what you thought, then move.

Watch more carefully during the 'high seasons' of the farming calender such as sowing or harvesting when activity will be at a peak. Then there could be 3rd Party personnel on the farm with large equipment.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to all for the good advice

I normally keep small containers of mothballs in various places inside the caravan for the couple of months that we don't use it (much to the disgust of Herself who hates the smell)

The insures checked out ok and we will try it for the first month to see how things go.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I remember correctly there was a farm on Newham Lane just outside Old Basing that does caravan storage,Blacklands i think?

The problem i found is most farms around Basingstoke are leaseholders on the Duke of Wellington Estates.

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
Just a couple of thoughts here. Thefts, of all sorts, from farms are on the increase so do consider the security.

If you are looking for a farm, look for a farmer that has moved away from milk as they will tend to have the barns available. Don't pester the arable farmers who will be using their barns through the year.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Silver Birch

It was the farmer who telephoned us because a friend of his had advertised caravan storage but by the time we'd seen it the storage was full.

He put his friend in touch with us because after getting rid of his beasts he has space available and he wants to use it to store caravans.

The barn is very close to his house (50 yards) and behind his mother in laws and their neighbours on the gateway and with a locked gate, two farm dogs and a 12 bore shotgun we are reasonably happy that the security aspect should be ok. The insurance company haven't raised any objection and we have an alarm and a Phantom tracker fitted plus the usual hitchlock and wheelclamps.

Our caravan is now tucked away until February and hopefully it will stay reasonably clean in the barn.

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi All, since reading this I have now taken photos of my van clearly showing wheel clamp, Alko wheel lock and Alko hitch lock.

Just in case I have a problem with my insurer.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Only problem with fitting wheel clamps is that if there is an emergency they can not move the van.I just put a hitch lock on mine which is OK by my insurer.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
we used to store our caravan at a farm near Tiverton Devon, 3 caravans were stolen over a 2 week period at one time with the barn being close to the farmers house locked gates and bollards to barn, they still got in. Ours wasnt one which got stolen but was broken into (minimal damage) didnt w]see the need to change storage as the farmer was doing all he could with security including a lighting system to his house if anything big moved in the barn.

When we moved we decided to store at home for ease of use.

Keeping the van in a barn will keep it clean from the dreaded green stuff and black streaks but will have alot of dust to wash off.

Kevin

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Ours is in a farm barn, but we did get a mouse in last year fortunately no damage as such just dropping to clean. The problem was it is a newish van and all the entry points were not sealed up. Check yours. They say mice only need a hole the size of a pencil to get in! I used aerosol fom which worked OK to seal the gaps, but wear old clothes, I get 90% on me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts