Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Those of us who've been 'vanning a few years have seen the weights of 'vans increase inexorably:-

1st 'van - 1986 Perle Olympus 5 berth, MTPLM 950Kg

2nd 'van - 1988 Lunar Delta 560/5 T/A, MTPLM 1200Kg

3rd 'van - 1992 Lunar Delta 560/5 T/A, MTPLM 1300Kg

4th 'van - 2004 Caravalair Eden 2 berth MTPLM 1300Kg

Most of today's reasonably equipped 2-4 berths have ex-factory weights of at least 1300Kg, and MTPLM's of 1450-1500Kg, and twin axle vans tend to range from 1600-2000Kg MTPLM so all models have gained nearly 500Kg meaning that we all have to buy heavier and bigger thirstier cars, which are also getting heavier, to be able to tow safely.

Anyone wanting to tow a T/A van is limited, more or less to a 4x4 or large German Estate, family cars are all too light to safely tow these van's, as they are to tow many 4+ berth family single axle vans. Do we really need so much stuff in our vans these days?

What do you all think?

Mike

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Do we really need so much stuff in our vans these days?

Some people do, some people don't.

Some use all their equipment others, but not us, very little.

It's a shame that manufacturers and designers can't offer a bespoke service were you buy a shell and then , like choosing a fitted kitchen, decide what you want to go in it !

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
with 2 kids , we use all the appliances and features except for the gas oven,The microwave gets a lot of hammer as does the electric hob.

We have used the gas oven but only when the kids were not with us.

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

i think all gadgets are great,my wife uses electric ring,microwave,oven dont forget we are paying for electric on the site my motto is use it you are saving on the gas.All The Best Alan P/T

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Yep - we had all the gizmo's on our last 3 vans, except electric hobs and heaters, and microwaves but they all had double glazing, insect screens and blinds to all windows, shower, electric cassete toilets, gas/electric fidge/freezer, gas heater, gas hot water, and inboard tanks on the last Delta.

A microwave and one electric hob, plus an electric element in the hotwater tank and heater can't weigh any more than 20-30Kg in total, so why have vans got so heavy?

Their very high weight must deter some people from taking up the hobby as they may not be able to afford to buy a larger heavier car.

Mike

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Thinking about this there must be quite a bit of combined weight in all the mod cons we get now.

I did a comparison between our Elddis TA 6 berth and my Father-in-Law's old (now defunct) 1970's Ace.

So,

Gas Oven

Fridge

Toilet

Bathroom sink

Battery

Extra gas bottle

Onboard water tank / pump / posh taps

Microwave

Heki rooflights

Omnivent

Fly screens

2 fold up tables

TV

Radio

Loads of lights

Water heater

Alarm / Tracker

Awning

Back in the 70's when the Ace was new the mod cons extended to

2 burner gas hob

1 sink with a foot pump for the water (cold only)

No EHU - FIL had it fitted as an extra.

Gas heater

And that was about it.

So if we also consider that modern vans are better insulated (and thus presumably heavier shells) I think a lot of this is due to the natural course of improvements. Double glazed windows must presumably weight about twice as much as single glazed ones. Fatter tyres must weigh more, those posh Whale taps & shower mixer weigh kilos rather than a few ounces for the old aluminium bent pipe affair in the old van and so on.

I was also thinking about lengths as well. Last week we were on a site where there was an older T/A Bessecarr Cameo which was a good 3 feet shorter than our Elddis. I recall it's only in more recent years that 26 footers have become more popular as the machinery to haul them has become more varied. 20 years back your only real 4x4 choice was LR or RR (possibly Toyota LC but not many around) or a big Volvo or Mercedes estate. As the 90's progressed cars like the Trooper and Shogun started to become less agricultural but not until recently have we seen things like the Sorento and Freelander, e.g. medium sized motors which can haul up around 2 tonnes.

Also worth noting that cars have also got heavier and larger. Just compare the size and weight of a Mk1 VW Golf to the new equivalent. Even something as large as a Range Rover has done the same thing. The Original Classic weighed in at under 2 tonnes I think whereas the modern Vogue TDV8 is almost 3 tonnes. More interesting is that the modern cars are way less thirsty than their older counterparts despite being a lot heavier. My 1st car, a Ford Anglia 105e never did better than 25mpg solo and wouldn't have towed a lot anyway whereas my current RR Vogue TDV8 with it's rip-snorting 3.6 Turbo Diesel can easily better that figure.

Dom

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dom Dom

An excellent piece of constructive journalism. I hope Nigel the Ed uses it in the mag. Well done.

Is this also the reason why I am a lot heavier now than 20 years ago?? LOL!

Cheers

Dustdyog

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks DustyDog.

Erm, if you're anything like me, the reasons for weighing a lot more now than you did 20 years ago are:

No longer burning calories chasing Fillies

Pukka Pies / Large Cod 'n' Chips / Beer & curry are all taking their toll

Ride on lawn mowers instead of the old "Heart Attack" push drive things

Cars no longer have "Keep Fit" windows - all electric nowadays

Aquarolls replaced the lugging of 2 heavy 20 litre cans across 3 fields

Pop up awnings.

Rotovators replaced the Mark 1 Spade

And last ( but not least) I now have one of those "Woman" thingies to run round after me LOL :)

Let's just hope she doesn't read this or she will be running after me........with a carving knife. !! :)

Right, I'm off to the Gym.

Dom.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts