Faulty Electrics - Car or Caravan

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
I've recently had a tow bar (twin electrics) fitted to my Citroen Picasso and bought a 1988 Bessacarr Cameo Caravan - both Tow bar and caravan are under warranty. Recently when towing the caravan the 12v fridge stopped working (works on mains), I took it back to the dealer who fixed it and told me that it was a loose connection. The next time I towed, once again, the fridge stopped working, I took it back to the dealer who has just told me that the wires had melted - he blames the person who fitted the tow bar, telling me that it was either incorrectly wired or a faulty relay. I've phoned the person who fitted the tow bar and he has told me that it is not the tow bar at fault but the caravan wiring. Can anyone advise me as to what the fault could be?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Did the wires melt under the caravan or under the car?

Why would the wires melt? They were required to handle too much current and either:

1. The 12V fridge heater is faulty causing the wires to conduct too much current - the caravan dealer should sort the problem out

2. The 12 fridge heater is OK, but the wrong grade (thickness) of wire was used in the construction of the caravan loom - the caravan dealer should sort the problem out.

3. The fridge is OK, the van wiring is OK, but the wires under the car failed - the tow bar fitter should replace the wiring with the correct grade (absolute minimum of 30 Amp recommended)

If the wires melted under the caravan, then I'd pressurise the van dealer, if under the car then pressurise the tow bar fitter.

If the wrong grade of wire was used, then that should be easily rectified.

If the correct grade of wire was used, then some investigation of the fridge heater or the control circuitry is required.

Robert

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Rob-Jax. The wires melted under the caravan, so should be a problem with caravan then. I've arranged for the tow bar fitter to go up to the caravan (which is currently at the dealers) and they can fight it out between them, Only problem is that I'll feel really bad if the tow bar fitter wastes a long journey only to find that he did a top job in teh first place. Think I'll cask him to phone Caravan dealer and see if problem can be fixed over telephone or at least determine the true problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Micheal,

If the two fitters cannot agree on who is to blame, then I suggest that you tell them both that you will seek an independant assessment by an electrical engineer, and you will charge the the cost of the assessment and report to person who is identified as being responsible for the fault.

If they argue over that, issue a summons in the small claims court.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Thanks will do that, sadly the Caravan dealer isn't the most honest of people (told me my caravan was 1991 when insurance told me 1988, promised gas tank and gave me empty one etc)so it may come to small claims court. I'll keep you posted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts