Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We've managed to book a site in Concarneau southern brittany, what is the best and cheapest ferries to get. Any info whatsoeva would be brilliant many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do not think they are always the cheapest but having used most of them I prefer Brittany Ferries.

Depending upon where you are in the UK the Brittany Ferries Service from Poole to Cherbourg is good for Brittany (My personal favourite but I am only 30 min from Poole Docks). They also go from Portsmouth to Cherbourg and into Le Havre. Poole is quite easy to get to via the M3/M27/A31 etc. but I wouldn't say it is as easy as Portsmouth or Southampton.

May not be as cheap as the Dover crossings but with fuel the price it is then such a crossing makes sense as long as you don't live closer to Dover!

Norfolk Line has a deal going via the CC which may be worth a look at but there was some negative feedback re their booking service a while back on this Forum. I have not used this operator so cannot comment.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Total agreement with CliveV, it really feels like your holiday has started when travelling on Brittany Ferries - friendly welcoming staff - great waiter service restaurant - and you arrive refreshed and close(ish) to your final destination of Southern Brittany.

We've used them to Roscoff, Cherbourg and Caen (Ouistreham) in the past - and assuming you need to pass Oxford on your way to the port - you will save about 1 hour of driving in the UK compared to Dover - and another 5 or so hours of driving in France to get you back to Caen in Normandy

So by going Brittany Ferries, you'll save a considerable amount of driving, maybe also gaining an extra day or two at your final destination. But compared to the bargain prices on the Dover - Calais route, you'll pay quite a lot more for the Brittany crossing.

If you want to work out the cost of the extra driving , use www.viamichelin.com to plan the route from Calais to say Caen - change the options to add a caravan and your car type - which I did for my C-Class and caravan - the predicted cost for the return Calais - Caen - Calais is an extra 700 km of driving and road tolls and fuel add an extra Euro 150 (

TRENDING THREADS