Fiammastore awnings and similar

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
We are getting a new Abbey Cardinal anytime now [ it's ordered ] and have wanted to get some shade from the sun.

Being elderly and with plenty of arthritis we have never had an awning in the past - however we have thought of one of these roll out blinds. The Techies at our dealers told us that we could not fit one to our old Elddis Slipstream , so we went with that .

However does anyone know if one , as is used on Motorhomes , be fitted to the Abbey Cardinal 2 berth model ?

I don't want the hang in a bag one - the performance of trying to get it up onto the caravan does NOT appeal

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Fiamma Caravanstore (hang-in-bag type) only has to be put into the awning rail once, it's designed to stay there permanently.

The type used on motorhomes could probably be adapted to fit a caravan but they're double the weight. Contact a motorhome dealer for advice.

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
I can personally vouch for the caravanstore. we purchased one last year and left it fixed to the van all summer, we did store it in the garage during the winter and i am putting it back up tomorrow.

Ours is 4 metres and it is a two person job getting it down and up but it only takes about two minutes. the only difficulty being that you are reaching up above your normal height. I have purchased a lightweight pair of steps (3steps) that make the job easy.

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
thanks for that bit of info - doesn't the bag hanging down create any problems ? It does look to be a good idea
The only issue you may have is if your outside light is situated within a few inches of the awning rail. The exact distance required is on the Fiammi website. The Caravanstore needs to rest flat against the van then there are no problems at all. I had to move the light down slightly on my last van but no problem with my new one. Also if you do decide on one when you measure up for what size you want do not include any area where the roof line of the van starts to curve. hope this helps. Andrew

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew has got it just about right, including the use of lightweight steps. Anything longer than about 3m awning will need rafter poles, also need these to hand the side curtains on (they say, although I don't see why you can't hand them on the side arms directly).

Fiamma rafter poles are expensive and difficult to clamp up tight, using a double handed unscrewing action. I've made some myself from tublular clothesline props - local market

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have had the Caravanstore (Fiamma) for a few years now and last year bought the "Zip"

I agree with all the above comments especially tying it down straight away.

The original one rolled up overhand and I could easily roll the 2.8m one up myself using the caravan step(it rolled so that the rolling was done with fingers at the top and thumbs underneath so that when rolled up the open edge was uppermost).

Fiamma have now got it rolling underhand and this is really awkward to do alone and the material "bags" so that it is more loosely wound.

With one person at each end it would not be such a problem

The velcro straps are now more difficult to fasten if the awning is not rolled tightly.

I have extended the fixed straps by threading stick n stick velcro through the sewn on loop and this has improved matters.

The side curtains are very expensive but last year(before we got the "Zip")we bought some gazebo side panels for less than

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have had the Caravanstore (Fiamma) for a few years now and last year bought the "Zip"

I agree with all the above comments especially tying it down straight away.

The original one rolled up overhand and I could easily roll the 2.8m one up myself using the caravan step(it rolled so that the rolling was done with fingers at the top and thumbs underneath so that when rolled up the open edge was uppermost).

Fiamma have now got it rolling underhand and this is really awkward to do alone and the material "bags" so that it is more loosely wound.

With one person at each end it would not be such a problem

The velcro straps are now more difficult to fasten if the awning is not rolled tightly.

I have extended the fixed straps by threading stick n stick velcro through the sewn on loop and this has improved matters.

The side curtains are very expensive but last year(before we got the "Zip")we bought some gazebo side panels for less than

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts