fiat/peugeot reverse problems

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
We will shortly be acquiing our first motorhome and have shortlisted a few. Most of them are 2007/2008 on Fiat or Peugeot chassis. I have been reading of owners having trouble with juddering when reversing up slopes and wonder just how widespread this is. Dealers I have spoken to have minimised this or denied all knowledge. Is this something I should be concerned about. We're looking at Swift 530lp, Elddis Autoquest 115 and similar sub 6 mtr 2 berths.

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
The problem can be found in some 2006 to early 2009 models of the X/250. Most will have had the problem resolved, but always possible some slipped through the net as it was on the requirements of an individual basis, not on Manufacturer's recall. Some buyers did trade-in without the mods fitted, so if dealer didn't get it done no solution fitted. It's therefore best to take any van of those dates for a test drive which includes reversing up a slope. Models that came out of the Sevel factory post March?? 2009 had a different reverse gear ratio to eliminate the problem.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Was the problem on both the five and six speed and all engine variants? I've not been able to find definitive info.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Have no problem with my 2005 Fiat 2.3L CI Carioca 644. Yet! However, it appears that it did not start until the 2006 on earlier posts. I have heard of the problem and wondered if it would strike my van. Looks like I am in luck.

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Al68 - the problem was with the itroduction of the X/250 in late 2006. So you will be OK. The problem appears(reported incidents) to be most relative to the 2.3L engine, but has been reported on all variants, with the 3.0L Comformatic (auto) being the least. Difficult to determine why some are prone to the problem & others not. The most detailed incident & subsequent difficulties convincing Fiat were in 2007 by Andy Stothert a regular contributor to the Caravan Club & MMM magazines. In short it has been reported as affecting PVC conversions as well as Coachbuilt Motorhomes. Hence the reason to ensure a test drive which includes reversing UP a slope. There is no other (TMK) to determine if an individual vehicle suffers (other than discussion with a previous TRUTHFUL owner) So Buyer Beware.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I have had an Elddis Autoquest 115 (2008 model) from new and have not had that problem - although there haven't been too many occasions where I have had to reverse up any serious gradient! I have found it a pleasure to drive and so has my wife (who was not that keen to start with) and it has plenty of pulling power. I was worried about that judder before buying it but I'm happy with my purchase.

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve - the problem manifested itself on all variants, but the largest no. of reported case was on the 2.3L 6 speed box. I doubt anyone can give any indication of the No. of vans or % of vans affected, except Fiat.
I suspect it was a low % of Vans, otherwise it would have been much more public, especially with commercial operators.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts