Filling gas cylinders

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I've posted this on another website too, but you chaps are more relevant to the motorhome scene and may have an opinion.

We've got a 6Kg lite cylinder in our motorhome and on a camp site last week I was chatting to a chap who just happens to do gas deliveries for Air Liquide. I jokingly said my cylinder was running out and what's the cheapest way to refill it - Calor want c£23 for the 6Kg cylinder which seems a bit pricey when the big five foot builders one is only c£40.

Anyway chappie tells me he always refills his cylinders himself. Says Calor don't like it but as long as you treat it carefully it's as safe as refilling a car petrol tank and who's to know?

He says you just connect the small empty cylinder to a full big propane one using a transition fitting (?), open the valves, empty one first and you'll hear the gas transferring. Stand the empty cylinder on a set of bathroom scales before you start and turn the valves off when the weight's gone up by 5Kg to be on the safe side.

Anyone any thoughts? I've got a spare full 15Kg blue butane one that I used on the old gas Barbie so no cost there. Is there any REAL difference in the gas? I know propane works down to a lower temp, but apart from that anyone foresee any problems?

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
http://www.motorcaravanning.com/vehicles/bottled_gas.htmYou will find very few motorhomers who would condone the comments from your chap. I can only assume he is less mindful of blowing up himself and others. Gas is not the same as petrol or diesel. Bathroom scales are not reliable. If you want to run the risk, look on e-bay and do it somewhere well away from people and buildings.

I agree Calor Gas is pricey but it argues you get not only gas but a cylinder that has been checked. I wonder if the chap checks his own cylinder? Think about how safe your cylinder will be if not regularly checked and the consequence of a gas leak.

You can have refillable gas tanks installed that can be filled quite safely although some supermarkets, such as Morrisons, now don't allow them to be filled on the forecourt because the risk is too high. Some motorhomes can store larger Calor Gas bottles. These are the recognised motorhome solutions to Calor Gas's high prices.

http://www.motorcaravanning.com/vehicles/bottled_gas.htm

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The reason some places don't allow filling of properly fitted, purpose made, refillable bottles is that they have experience of accidents caused by idiots filling bottles that are not user-refillable. For example this incident.

The question that struck me is do Air Liquide realise they are employing a total idiot?

If you want refillable then go for Gaslow (as in the previous link), Alugas or another properly constructed and fitted solution.

Graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts