filling internal water tank via external pump and water tank.

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I just wondered if it's possible to use the external pump to fill the internal water tank ? Our caravan is a 2000 Bailey senator
Thanks
Obviously we a re fairly new to caravans. !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The answer is usually yes. But it will depend on how your pipework and wiring has been configured. Some systems have an external filler which can accept a pump, some just have filler port.

I have used both in the past, and frankly I personally found it preferable to simply use an external water carrier, and forget about the internal tank. But that is all down to personal preference.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Our Bucanneer fills from the pump, rocker switch to ext and it fills the onboard tank, then to int to use it. To bypass the tank and use the aquaroll switch goes to zero. But not sure re Baileys sorry. Have a feeling there is something under the seat next to the inlet.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
We have a series 5 Senator Oklahoma that uses internal pump to fill onboard tank. There are 2x 3way taps either side of the pump to do all various functions fill tank/use taps from tank or use taps from aquaroll, on ours the pump and 3way taps are under the front seating behind water inlet

Reactions: JezzerB
Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Well I couldn't see anything in place to do this so I have made up my own plumbing. Just added a T piece into the water pipe from pump to the regulator thing this feeds into the internal tank with another fitting via a stop valve. So just turn ext pump on and open stop valve and it fills the internal tank. Seems to work fine. One external tank fills the internal tank.

Reactions: otherclive

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Have you any provision to avoid overfilling the tank?

Or is it easy enough to monitor the level and stop in time.

My German one fills via a vented external filler, but overfilling would still bring some small tank top, manhole etc leakages, I can however simply open a locker and see where the level is.
I don't think I would live with not knowing, in our particular setup.

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Have you any provision to avoid overfilling the tank?

Or is it easy enough to monitor the level and stop in time.

My German one fills via a vented external filler, but overfilling would still bring some small tank top, manhole etc leakages, I can however simply open a locker and see where the level is.
I don't think I would live with not knowing, in our particular setup.
Well I just used a full 45 litre container and it filled the internal tank. So unless I fill from anything bigger it won't overfill. As I have to have the seat up to operate the stop valve you can see the tank filling anyway. I do have an overflow pipe but I suspect the fill rate might be more than that can handle. I would also suggest to anyone doing this or anything with the water supply that they get some new hose. Every join I undid then leaked due to the old pipe being brittle. Luckily I had enough new pipe to re do a lot of it.

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I wanted the internal tank for two reasons. Firstly it seems my wife and I get through the water drum in an evening of washing up and showers so to avoid having to go back outside to swap barrels we just switch to the internal tank. Secondly if the external pump fails we can again switch to the internal tank. Yes I carry a spare external pump but probably wouldn't want to go outside mid shower to change it !

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Well I just used a full 45 litre container and it filled the internal tank. So unless I fill from anything bigger it won't overfill.

That also assumes pre filling the tank, it starts with it at a low enough level ;), but I raised it as a point to be wary about, which clearly you are.

Reactions: manwithtool
Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Yes, sort of thought it through. We nearly always travel with the internal tank empty for obvious reasons. One issue I had was because I tapped into the pipe before the regulator I found that as the pressure on the other side of the regulator was normal the pump wouldn't cut in. It took me a few seconds to ponder, but obviously just turning a tap on for a second to drop the pressure allowing the regulator to start the pump. With the stop valve open it didn't pump enough to build up pressure again until stop valve was closed. Sorry for the long explanation ! I'm not sure if I should have tapped in after the regulator ? Not sure it makes any real difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts