Finding the ferry terminal in St Malo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is it only me, or is the ferry terminal much more difficult to find than those in, say, Ouitreham and Cherbourg.
My satnav refused to find Brittany Ferriies by name, so I pin poined it and put in the coordinates ( which proved eventually to be spot on)
Arriving at the southern side of St Malo, no instructions forth coming and no roadsigns car-in-boat as at other ports. Instructed to leave the roundabout near the Grand Aquarium at a certain numer exit to go to a totally incomprehensible steet name ( even if there had been signs bearing the name which there are not) it became all too clear that it was either counting or ignoring small exits to service roads and we were doing the opposite, ending with an excursion across the Rance Estuary before being able to U turn.
Back toy the roundabout and spotted a sign to Port hidden among many others. Relief, and followed this only to find it lead to the northern port area not the ferry.
Turned south and ignored complicated satnav instruction and in due course arrived at terminal. Very small check in area, several lines having to come down to two for security and to pass into boarding area.
Sat for two hours watching people walking about and waving arms, eventually boarded to find that iferry almost empty with no more than 80 to 90 vehicles.
Not the finest experince at the end of 1400 mile return drive from Spain.
St Malo off my list of return ports

Feb 14, 2018
Visit site
We have used St Malo for many years and not had an real problems.On approach to the City you need to concentrate quite a bit but the last mile or so is quite straight forward I found especially if you use cordinates.Why people do not use google maps and co-ordinates I do not know,makes life so much easier.I think if you do this port again it will get easier.I found Bilbao Spain much more difficult but I expect someone will pop up and say its very easy.If you have had a long journey you will be tired and then I think the last mile you start to relax and think nearly there but then you find you have to concentrate more finding the ferry port.and wrong turning at that point in the journey really jarrs

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what at nav you use but ours takes us right there using Lat and Long co-ordinates.
We've also arrived there without sat nav,it's really very easy,never had a problem following the signs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Satnav is fully updated Garmin but admittedly only a car version. Coordinates were put in from Google Earth an d proved to be correct when eventually arrived.
Since posting I've heard directly from 3 other people who have had the same problem, so some consolation not to feel totally alone

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Not been to the port that you are on about but Hull Port , Holland Port , French ferry terminal and the Eurotunnel terminals have been found no bother by my sat nav , all I've done is typed in the postcode from the actual terminal and it has took me right to where I needed to be. We have got the car/caravan Sat Nav but regardless typing in the proper postcode should take you to exactly where you need to be on any sat nav .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We like to travel to St Malo from Portsmouth and then use the Caen - Portsmouth ferry to return. Reason is that St Malo ferry leaves at 10.30am to arrive in Portsmouth at about 6pm so a very long day. Caen ferry leaves at 8.30am to arrive at about 1.30pm so plenty of time for us to drive up to West Midlands.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OK guys, must be me. I'll double check everything again and get the google map up.
I would like to go on using this route overnight, particularly on Saturday night as that gets us to Portsmouth on a less busy day and after a good nights sleep. (unless of course it is in Pont Aven where I measured 83 dbA in the cabin from machinery noise)

Mar 29, 2018
Visit site
Don’t think it’s you. Sailed from there last September. Extensive road works in St Malo made it a squeeze and a lack of signage quite a trial. It was raining and windy and check in was chaotic - which considering how few vehicles there were made me glad it wasn’t high season. Caen on the other hand a dream. So in future into France St Malo, nice leisurely night crossing, out Caen - quicker and easier.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for kind words PB ! Apart from shorter overnight Caen to Portsmouth had come to more or less the same conclusion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts