Fire Bucket - Do you put one out?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Well said Rob!

Clearly Ian doesn't rally or belong to a club or he would know about fire buckets and the club rules that say you must put one out as mentioned in a lot of the previous posts.

Anyway how many people have chip pans at home these days, let alone in their Caravan? That's just bonkers plain & simple!

Lets home he & his are never in the situation of needing any jokers' fire bucket to help them out.

PS

Security & satisfaction have got b****r all to do with a fire bucket and sarcasm gets you no friends. Rules are rules exactly the same as the " No ball games" CC rules. Agree or disagree its up to you but the rules will still be there for the greater good of others.

Hope you have paid up on your insurance policys though.
You darn right I don't rally as most ralliers, but not all, are self centred and why should I go sit in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere without EHU etc when I have paid for a caravan with electric.

Yes we have tried rallies and it is a case of mates always get pitches reserved instead of a first come first serve. In our opinion they play stupid childish games half the time and this does not involve kids! As for the C & CC it has to be one of the most user unfriendly clubs I have ever come across hence I am not a member of that organisation.

We do go on meets with another very friendly crowd from another forum and have enjoyed every minute as we only have to obey the sites rules and regulations and not fancy rules made up as you go along.

What's all the panic about a box on wheels which can be replaced whereas a human life cannot. Have you ever seen a body that has suffered the consequence of severe burns or have you seen a body that is so badly burnt that all that is recognisable is the torso and the skull. Well I have I do not not wish to see it again!

Although I have no interest in water buckets etc I would ensure that any person was out of the caravan and safe and I would advise others about the dangers of being too close to a caravan on fire. After that it is their problem if the want to risk their lives for a futile cause as a caravan will disappear in flames within minutes even if you have a proper fire extinguisher ot lucky enough to have a water hose nearby which I think is mandatory on proper sites whereaas it is not on a rally field.

It woudl be interesting to know the number of caravans that go up in flames on a proper site and those on rallies to ascertain where the most danger lies.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Ian, are you really such an a******e, or is this a good day?
One of my better days thank you for asking! I expressed an opinion as I was under the impression that freedom of speech was allowed in this country. As such you can critise my post. As for name calling, I try not to stoop that low.

G

There are arguments on both sides of this one.

Personally, I do not agree with it for similar reasons to those raised by Ian. Most vans have electrical hookups and the cause of the fire has a high probability of being elctrically started, so water is indeed the last thing to use. This Rule was introduced when virtual no van had mains electric and to my mind is now out of date. Some may say that this does not apply to tents, but as many of these now have mains electric as well, the same argument applies. A burnt electrical cable on wet grass and you are standing in it???? You know the answer.

However, it may be a better suggestion to insist on all vans having a suitable, and large size, fire extinguisher fitted inside the door. Armed with one of these I may be more inclined to assist. I also tend to support the theory that goods and chattels can be replaced on insurance, human bodies are not so easy. Dead heroes are usually no use to anyone.

That is not necessarily being a coward but having particpated in numerous fire training exercises from the Fire Brigade they usually tell you at the start to call them first and only in very small instances, have a go yourself.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
If having a fire bucket is a club rule what club. If its the cc Ive never been asked where my bucket is and I have been a member for 4 years. If its not the cc the quote what club in your posts

Kevin H

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

Ours is a black builders bucket with the word 'FIRE' on it with transfers.

I keep meaning to put the corresponding word in French and Spanish but haven't got around to it.

When it's not a Fire bucket, it's a receptacle for holding the steady plates in transit.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Let me start off by saying that I've honestly only seen one person with a fire bucket by the A frame. That was at a local site last year.

If anyones sees a fire they mustn't run, it's no good arriving out of breath and running around like an headless chicken. By walking it gives one a chance to assess the situation first and you arrive with a clear head. By assessing the situation you can come to a decision whether it's worth trying to put out the fire and not doing like Ian, running the other way. If anyone intends throwing water about they must disconnect the EHU first or delegate someone else to do it, also turn off the gas tap too if possible.

The owners might be away from the caravan, maybe at reception, and have dogs in the caravan. I can't speak for others but it wouldn't be possible for me to walk away in that instance and let it burn thinking "Oh well, they will have insurance". There are many single elderly caravanners and they may have suffered, for example, a C.V.A. They might have been having a smoke when falling unconcious, who will help them if everyone runs away and says its only a box. I suppose it will save on cremation fees later.

Like you Ian, I have seen burned bodies, two of them being firemen, but that doesn't absolve me of compassion to others, whether it be fellow campers or their pets.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
My initial reaction to this post was that one bucket of water is hardly likely to be of much use untill I read Mikey's post, all for one and one for all, I'll be upping my fire precautions.

You should not worry about throwing water onto a caravan that is hooked up to the mains because the site outlet is usually protected by an rcd so too is the caravan so even if you had an earth rod in one hand and touched the live terminals with the other (DO NOT TRY THIS!!!!!!) you would only get a brief jolt lasting less than 1/10th of a second before the rcd disconnects the supply, if it was me I wouldn't even bother to put the bucket down to unplug the mains lead, a small easily extingushable fire can turn into total destruction in that time.
Its the word Usualy that would bother me.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
LB Please read an earlier comment I posted which hopefully clarifies the issue regaridng life. I would ensure that all species of life, humans and dogs are not in danger before making a hasty retreat. Probably like me you have seen the damage a gas cylinder can do, even a small one, used for lighting or a camping stove never mind a large one travelling like a missle.

It is unlikely that people will carry treasured belongings in caravan so even more reason not to endanger yourself or others trying to put out a caravan fire. Likewise if there is a car nearby and you are able to access it, try and move it obviously within reason and using common sense.

Otherwise waliking and not running makes perfect sense. I guess it is up to the individual on the fire precautions. How many of you have been on a site where the caravans are crammed so close to one another, that if one went up all the rest would also go up in flames.

Correct me if I am wrong, but commercial sites including CC and the C & CC are under not obligation to have caravans "x" amount of feet away from one another. Most seems to be self regulatory. Under those circumstancs if crammed in together and you lost a caravan due to fire, the insurance company could turn around and say that you were aware of the risk yet to still chose to take the risk and they may not pay out. the site owner although responsible will try and squirm out of payment for as long as possible.

Although I may think fire buckets are a waste of time, I do think it is a good idea that on rallies even though I don't like rallies etc and caravan parks that they stipulate that you have to be at least "x" feet away from another unit is a very good idea. However it may be pointless if there is a car parked in between the units. I think it should be a mandatory rule for all caravan parks if it is isn't already that caravans including the awning should be a minimum of at least 8 foot apart which is the width of many new caravans today.

From where I am sitting t present I can see several caravans where the awnings are less than 3 foot from one another. This gives me the heeby jeebies.

Also how many caravan parks keep a record of who is in and who is out so that in the event of a fire they have a record. How many of them have a meeting point in the event of a fire similar to a hotel? Mayb a bit over the top but if several caravans go up there will be an issue in determing who is where. Last question, how many of you observe where the nearest fire point, i.e. water hose, fire extinguisher is on arrival at a site. I am one of the first to admit I only notice it if I am passing by and I do not go looking for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts