Fire Danger From Plastic Water Bottles

Kate Taylor

Administrator
Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
On our pitch in Portugal I recently started putting 5lt water bottles on the mud walling on the awning and the utility tent doors to stop feral cats getting in.
I now find that the sun’s rays have burnt holes in the plastic mud walls. I have seen these plastic water containers used for this for many years, but beware there is a lot of heat built up under them.
This could be particularly dangerous if there was dry vegetation around.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Clive-Cardiff said:
On our pitch in Portugal I recently started putting 5lt water bottles on the mud walling on the awning and the utility tent doors to stop feral cats getting in.
I now find that the sun’s rays have burnt holes in the plastic mud walls. I have seen these plastic water containers used for this for many years, but beware there is a lot of heat built up under them.
This could be particularly dangerous if there was dry vegetation around.
Another one around it is to push a stick into the ground and to place a 2 litre empty plastic bottle over the stick so that the neck is about a foot off the ground. It creates the same effect as in the wind, they move around, the wind can cause a noise from blowing over the neck of the bottle and the light reflecting off it distract the animal and makes them wary even at night. This is a very successful method and have never heard of dry vegetation catching fire.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
[
[/quote]
Another one around it is to push a stick into the ground and to place a 2 litre empty plastic bottle over the stick so that the neck is about a foot off the ground. It creates the same effect as in the wind, they move around, the wind can cause a noise from blowing over the neck of the bottle and the light reflecting off it distract the animal and makes them wary even at night. This is a very successful method and have never heard of dry vegetation catching fire.[/quote]

The bottles were intended to weigh down the mud wall to stop the cats squeezing through. The problem is that many campers welcome the cats into their awnings. We personally don't like cats and hate the idea of them jumping up onto our dining table during the night.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
If you have a zoo near you and it has lions, approach the zoo keeper as ask for some lion droppings. Mix it in with what ever you use to weigh down the awning and guaranteed no cats will come within a mile of your awning. It may sound strange, but it does work. After all, if you were a little pussy would you want to be around if a very big pussy eating pussy is around? :lol:

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi Clive,

Thanks for the warning, we're going to mention it to others in the next issue as well if you don't mind?

Best wishes, Stacie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have used the bottles for this purpose for many years, but all our awnings have had inside mud wall. On our new Ventura awning the mud walls are on the outside.
After I had discovered the cause of the burns I experimented with an old piece of synthetic grass carpet. I laid a couple of the bottles on the carpet for a day in the sun and fond the same burn patterns on the carpet after just one day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts