Fireworks - yes or no?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I love fireworks, always have. When I was a child, many years ago we used to look forward to bonfire night as a highlight of the dark winter days and would have great fun with a pocket full of "penny bangers". Some of the modern firework displays are just breathtaking, I think they are wonderful BUT our dogs hate them. Its distressing to see a big bold German Shepherd trying to hide, usually in the downstairs toilet, shaking and panting. Our oldest is the one most affected. She is a real sweetie, everyone who meets her falls in love with her and its very upsetting to see her so distressed. So what is the solution? We can cope with nov 5 by giving the dogs tranquilizers and bringing them inside when it gets dark, closing all doors and windows and turning the TV up and, if required, the radio to. We can also do this on the nearest saturday to the big day but we cant do it every night from october onwards. So have your fireworks and enjoy them, I hope it keeps fine for you then give us all a bit of peace. Jim.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I would go along with the ban on fireworks but, unfortunately, ths will never happen. Where we live we are regularly subjected to firework displays throughout the year: birthdays, weddingg and on one occasion a funeral!

On a recent walk down a well kept lane with doggy bins at each end I found that vandals had placed fireworks inside the bins and both were blown apart. Unfortunately, the culprits got away, THIS TIME!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As much as we love a party and fun.

BAN FIREWORKS FROM PUBLIC SALE!!!

Our dogs go mad and it's not just for November 5th, or the weekend before or after the date. It's anything upto a month either side even in rural Herefordshire.

Oganised professional events are fine because they are both well planned from a health & safety point of view and also publicised so that we can go to a quiet site to avoid the distress caused to the dogs.

This next week I'm working nights and that entails trying (being the operative word) to get 3 hours kip before I start work at 10pm. Fat chance of that with the school kids (still in uniform) buying fireworks from our local corner shop just down the estate from Leominster's comprehensive.

Oh and of coarse, when a kid get's injured playing with the dammed things, the parents say he/she was such a good child! ( why you little!!)

What about the distress the injury causes those poor ambulance people who have to treat the injuries. My hat certainly goes off to them.

I'll jump off my soap box now and try to snatch 40 winks.

Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I believe fireworks should only be allowed on one day, Nov 5th between the hours of 7pm and 11pm. Then all us Pet owners could relax for the rest of the month! I have to stand outside with my horse in his stable as he seems calmer if I stand there with him. Of course I cant make any plans to go out over the next two weeks as I dont know when neighbours are planning any fireworks. The inconsiderate buggers always fire the rockets over my little paddock and if they gave it a moments thought they would remember I have a horse. Of course, I cant say anything because they are the type of folks who would make my life miserable for the next twelve months and beyond.

Aug 9, 2006
Visit site
Ban them! Every year they make my dogs and horses lives a bloody misery. I am all for proper insured displays by councils but people (kids) letting them of for 3/4 weeks either side of the 5th just brings fear and misery to me and my animals

Cob

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
I agree BAN them all together, I hate them, they upset my Dogs, and if they are upset, I get stressed, we go far into the country around bonfire night, and stay for a few days,until normality returns.

G

We seem to be missing the point. For many many years people enjoyed bonfires and fireworks with no major problem. Yes, occasionally there was an accident, but no more than in any other activity. Now, because a hoodlums and other wasted souls have decided to ruin anyones fun, the result is a ban on the innocents.

It is not the fireworks that are the problem, it is the idiots who are allowed to cause mayhem with them. If we, as a society, keep banning all forms of tradition because it might allow the yobs to upset us, then the answer is to stay inside a closed room for the rest of your life. There is one possible answer, to fight fire with fire. As Himmler responded in 1939 when asked by the Metropolitan Police how he had reduced crime in Germany so significantly. The answer was simple he said, "We execute them". Critics may suggest that is not civilsed, until of course their house is the one burgled. But somewhere you must make it clear that crime, or antisocial behaviour will not pay. How that is achieved effectively is probably abhorrent, at least to begin with. One thing is for certain, we now know for sure that the 'soft' approach is ineffective. Sparing the rod, has definitely spoiled the child.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
QUOTE: 'As Himmler responded in 1939 when asked by the Metropolitan Police how he had reduced crime in Germany so significantly. The answer was simple he said, "We execute them"'.

Question: You mean the same man who held final command responsibility for implementing the industrial-scale extermination of between 6 and 12 million people. Which was aimed particularly at Jews, but also against those of many other nationalities, races and conditions Nazi ideology considered to be suitable for killing, or Sonderbehandlung ("special treatment")?

G

I did not state that Himmler was a 'saint'. Only that the Metropolitan Police felt it was worthy of investigation to send officials to Berlin prior to the War to ascertain the methods being used to combat crime, as they?? felt there could be lessons learned. Yes, subsequent events revealed a much more sinister side to the policies of the regime, however, purely in terms of treating adolescents, which do you prefer? the soft, let them do anything they like approach, or the firmer, ensure they regret, and possibly curtail their actions.

If you read the novel 'Lord of the Flies' it clearly illustrates how when given too much laxity, children, and again one maybe has to define a child, will resort to barbaric behaviour. If ASBO' s are now a badge of distinction amongst the youth then may be another approach is required.

All I feel is that the innocent majority should not be punished for the selfish actions of a minority. If we completely lock our children away from life, because we are frightened of the consequences, then they will be in no position to take over control.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Scotch Lad

I don't prefer the 'the soft, let them do anything approach' I prefer the 'firmer, ensure they regret and possibly curtail their actions'.

I agree this country has major problems with youths committing asb and some of the sentences handed out are insufficient to say the least. The parent/s or step parent/s have a lot to answer for and we have covered this subject before on this forum.

I acknowledge you didn't refer to Himmler as a saint. I just feel that referring to one of the most notorious Nazi's and how he dealt with crime was inappropriate for obvious reasons.

Lisa

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Well we used to have great fun with 'bangers' when we were kids. Now that i'm a bit older and maybe a wee bit wiser, do i want to see them banned??, of course not! I think theres a few folk on here that have forgotten what it was like to be young,

Gavin.

G

Lisa,

Don't worry, I agree with all you are saying. However, everything one looks at in life is orientated by the circumstances. Don't forget our 'friend' Heinrich had the full support of his country for a good few years. If they had won, who would have been vilified?

Of course, I don't agree with the policies adopted, however, in terms of looking at crime and order, then there could be lessons to be learned. Most peope up to the 90's did not consider disorder as a part of their lives because they knew their mothers would beat the hell out of them. So why not now?

It is reported on tonights's news that an MSP was terrorised in her car by 60 youths in Fife, she was petrified and now wishes to impose curfews, because she says, areas are no longer safe to walk in at night. Where has she been for the last 5 years? This is nothing new, but because she, as an MSP, did not live anywhere near her constituents, did not experience the scenarios regularly repeated. Hello, darling. welcome to the real world. Instead of bleating abut social deprivation, how about just doing something positive, such as hanging the first six? Like anything else in this world there has to be pain, as well as reward to achieve a result.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Another MSP who just happens to be First Minister would find it difficult to teach a class of 5 year olds. I would like him to become head of say Northfield Academy in Aberdeen for 6 months just to show the people how he would sort it out. We have friends who pay

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Oh Dear its started my poor dogs are barking like mad, loud bangs can be heard quite near, must be in someones back garden. No consideration for pet owners. Not amused. Liz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our oldest german shepherd is very sensitive to fireworks and gets upset at the slightest bang but she is currently laid by the fire and quite relaxed despite WW3 going on outside. The secret is the Valium that the vet gave us for her! Jim.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Relaxing now after a busy seven days doing displays, so I am catching up a bit.

Here are a few gems to mull over with regard to fireworks

To all you pet owners whose animals were distressed over the last week I am genuinely sorry. However let's put things into some sort of perspective.

Firstly I am happy in the knowledge that I have entertained several thousand, very pleased people over the last week with my displays.

In our small village of three dozen houses there have been several families who held firework parties this weekend and indeed often throughout the year. We have farms with livestock, a riding stable, donkeys and even llamas in surrounding fields as well as most houses having pets of various descriptions. The only person who ever moans (not just about fireworks, every thing really) owns a caravan-but that, I'm sure, is coincidence.

In 2002 1,000 people were injured by fireworks (In 2005 it was 850 and falling) 95% minor mainly caused by sparklers. (Last year in my home county of Northants there was only one person recorded as being treated for a firework related incident at A&E. ) In the same year 122,000 people were bitten by dogs (severity not recorded)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Relaxing now after a busy seven days doing displays, so I am catching up a bit.

Here are a few gems to mull over with regard to fireworks

To all you pet owners whose animals were distressed over the last week I am genuinely sorry. However let's put things into some sort of perspective.

Firstly I am happy in the knowledge that I have entertained several thousand, very pleased people over the last week with my displays.

In our small village of three dozen houses there have been several families who held firework parties this weekend and indeed often throughout the year. We have farms with livestock, a riding stable, donkeys and even llamas in surrounding fields as well as most houses having pets of various descriptions. The only person who ever moans (not just about fireworks, every thing really) owns a caravan-but that, I'm sure, is coincidence.

In 2002 1,000 people were injured by fireworks (In 2005 it was 850 and falling) 95% minor mainly caused by sparklers. (Last year in my home county of Northants there was only one person recorded as being treated for a firework related incident at A&E. ) In the same year 122,000 people were bitten by dogs (severity not recorded)
---122,000 dogs probably driven mad by fireworks! (ha ha!) Jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts