First caravan - £11k budget. Help please?

Aug 13, 2024
Visit site
Hello all,

Looking at buying my first caravan. Looking for something 4 berth, Under 1300kg, fixed bed and with a separate toliet and shower.

Considering buying privately and ensuring it has a recent service or asking sellers to get a service before ill buy.

Some of the dealers close to me are only offering 2008/2009 caravans for £11k. I hopefully will get something around 2014- 2015 year privately for that money.

Any advice on makes and models?

Any advice on what makes are the least likely to leak?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum. Firstly how many berths do you require? What weight can your car legally tow. I think you might be setting your sights a bit high wrt the difference between a dealer caravan and a private purchase.

I would recommend that you visit several dealerships just to get a feel for layouts and equipment. Spend some time in those you like and try and envisage how you would “live” in it.

Buying private doesn’t give anywhere near the consumer protection that is provided by purchasing from a dealer. So care is required. Things like service and repair history, recent damp reports, does the seller actually have title to the van, CRIS registration etc. On the plus side you pay a lower price and you may get a raft of gear included. The Caravan and Motorhome Club website has Members Classifieds which can turn up some nice caravans.

Good luck and come back with more questions as your journey progresses.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Before looking at the money aspect you need to decide how many berths, what layout, single or twin axle and as above that popped in as I was replying - what you will tow with and any limits that imposes. Even if just for 2 adults you can have a fixed bed in various configuration. Or the twin berths at the front that make up a double. I’m afraid nothing will be guaranteed water tight which is reason to find a regularly serviced van that has had an annual damp check - whether buying a 2 year old or a 12 year old!
Happy hunting!

Aug 13, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum. Firstly how many berths do you require? What weight can your car legally tow. I think you might be setting your sights a bit high wrt the difference between a dealer caravan and a private purchase.

I would recommend that you visit several dealerships just to get a feel for layouts and equipment. Spend some time in those you like and try and envisage how you would “live” in it.

Buying private doesn’t give anywhere near the consumer protection that is provided by purchasing from a dealer. So care is required. Things like service and repair history, recent damp reports, does the seller actually have title to the van, CRIS registration etc. On the plus side you pay a lower price and you may get a raft of gear included. The Caravan and Motorhome Club website has Members Classifieds which can turn up some nice caravans.

Good luck and come back with more questions as your journey progresses.
Thanks for the advice. I have edited the post, Im after a 4 berth and I'm after something around 1300kg.

Good advice with the visits to dealerships. I'll try some out next weekend!

Ill check out the website now for caravan club, thanks!

Aug 13, 2024
Visit site
Before looking at the money aspect you need to decide how many berths, what layout, single or twin axle and as above that popped in as I was replying - what you will tow with and any limits that imposes. Even if just for 2 adults you can have a fixed bed in various configuration. Or the twin berths at the front that make up a double. I’m afraid nothing will be guaranteed water tight which is reason to find a regularly serviced van that has had an annual damp check - whether buying a 2 year old or a 12 year old!
Happy hunting!
I have edited the post now to suit what I am looking for, thanks!

That's what's scaring me the fact that a 2 year old caravan may be leaky and im possibly buying something over 10 years old!

Ill definately make sure it was a full service history!

Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
I personally think it depends on how hands-on you want to be with repairing/slash maintaining your unit.

If you aren't very hands-on then go to a dealer and get a guarantee plus keep on top of servicing. If you want to get your hands dirty you can get a lot of caravan for £11k even if it's an old one and showing signs of wear a lot of stuff can be sorted out with a bit of tenacity and a willingness to learn.

Our old 1993 leaked quite a lot to my horror being a new caravaner I expected them to be somewhat watertight, it's now dry inside and I know where and how to check for new leaks (which can be anywhere). Suffice to say I have since learned that leaking goes hand in glove with caravans - it's part of the territory.

From what I have looked at as we plan to upgrade to a bigger van next year I'm expecting to pay upward of £15k and then understand it's a lottery. In terms of my focus from what I have read Adria, Coachman Elddis, Bailey and Swift all seem to be the mainstream options, my fav two being Adria and Coachman.

Good luck whatever you choose to do

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can buy aftermarket insurance warranties that give several levels of cover, so a dealer purchase isn’t essential. But buying from a dealer gives consumer protection via CRA 2015. If the buyer uses a credit card just for a deposit over £100 they get protection via section 75 of the CCA.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Don't over look Lunar vans, although defunct you get a lot of van for your money. Just read on here about all the trouble with Swift and Bailey, and some are new vans.

Reactions: Deejuk
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You can buy aftermarket insurance warranties that give several levels of cover, so a dealer purchase isn’t essential. But buying from a dealer gives consumer protection via CRA 2015. If the buyer uses a credit card just for a deposit over £100 they get protection via section 75 of the CCA.
I’ve never liked extended warranty covers. A couple I’ve looked at won’t cover anything over 10years old. Must have full service records. Not for me but if it gives comfort to others carry on.
IMO I’d spend the Warranty premium on a full AWS pre purchase survey and go from there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Be very very VERY careful with purchased after sales extended warranties. Just as Dusty has expressed they are often incredibly poor value becasue of the limitations they apply. Having had one very poor experience with such a scheme , I have never taken another, and in the process probably saved thousands of pounds over 40 years.

The CRA 2015 effectively provides better cover, and you get it when ever you make a retail purchase.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I have edited the post, Im after a 4 berth and I'm after something around 1300kg.

Good advice with the visits to dealerships. I'll try some out next weekend!

Ill check out the website now for caravan club, thanks!
You do not mention what vehicle you will be using to tow the caravan and whether it is manual or automatic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts