First time for everything !

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Everyone always has there first time setting off in their new tourer, so I would appreciate your expertise on how things should be packed, what should be packed and what we must do to get the caravan ready before our long weekend away with our two young boys at half term.

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
That's an very big question!!!

From a technical point of view heavy stuff over the axle, low down. Lighter things can go higher... but there's loads more ifno out there without me simply regurgitating e.g. try

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I would say as long as you remember the important things for the boys,ours when they were young had favioute teddys and toys and when they got a bit older it was bikes and balls.

Pack anything heavy over the axle,like awning ect anything else you forget can be brought while you are away or can do without.We still forget things now and its only the me and my wife lol.

Hope you have a great time and dont worry things will be fine.

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
That's an very big question!!!

From a technical point of view heavy stuff over the axle, low down. Lighter things can go higher... but there's loads more info out there without me simply regurgitating e.g. try http://www.caravansitefinder.co.uk/features/touring/towing.php.....

And as for a list of things to take then have a look at this.. http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/80D92E9D-379F-4EEB-A93D-D8A82BA6C52E/0/ThingstoTake.pdf

But I guess the really hard bit is when there are no hard and fast rules. i.e what to take. So here's my view of three essentials.

One of the biggest regrets we had last summer (it rained, remember!) was not taking wellies for our children. So, in the morning they would go out into the wet grass and their socks would need changing and shoes would be wet for the rest of the day. So wellies are a must, even if the forecast is good.

A toaster has also proved invaluable. The grill in the van is really good - but only two slices at a time makes beans on toast a slow affair.

I assume that you have a m/wave in the van. If so, don't forget microwave proof dishes. The lightweight melamine dishes don't survive in there long.

Hope this helps!

Gerard

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi

I would say as long as you remember the important things for the boys,ours when they were young had favioute teddys and toys and when they got a bit older it was bikes and balls.

Pack anything heavy over the axle,like awning ect anything else you forget can be brought while you are away or can do without.We still forget things now and its only the me and my wife lol.

Hope you have a great time and dont worry things will be fine.
Hi Lindsay

In terms of getting the van itself ready, there are things you have to do for the outfit to be safe, and things you need to do to avoid damage to the van. I would recommend you create a checklist, which you can amend as you get more experience. Its very easy to forget something, and sticking to your list helps to make sure things aren't spoiled for you. The caravan handbook is a good start point, but do add even things which seem obvious-don' assume you'll remember these-soon or later you won't! Have a good trip

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm

Hey Gary, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much would you recommend a GF Grill? I keep looking at them but just think it would end up at the back of the cupboard with the Breville toaster, the pizza cutter and the k-tel slice o matic.

Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm

Hey Gary, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much would you recommend a GF Grill? I keep looking at them but just think it would end up at the back of the cupboard with the Breville toaster, the pizza cutter and the k-tel slice o matic.
I have used a gf grill for over 4 years now and swear by them. i can honestly count on 1 hand how many times the frying pan has been out since i got it. No need for a toastie maker, the gf grill does those too

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
my wife gives them a 10.She grills most things on it and also makes paninis (not sure if that how you spell them),toasted wraps,kebabs its like a indoor BBQ come grill and the best thing she says is the cleaning of it and i must admit even i dont mind doing it,you wipe it down with a soapy cloth and its easy, excellent non stick plates.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lindsay

dont leave everyting till the last minute , try and load the van a few days before hand if not the previous weekend

(we've gone to the expense of having clothes specifically for the van that we leave in during the season).

Do the safety checks (i.e tyre pressures) the day before if you can.

Try and leave the day of travel for those last items you cant put in the van earlier and for actually hooking up the car and van ready for set off.

You dont say how old the kids are but get them involved as much as you can like packing their own little rucksack with toys (make it a game) Obviously make sure you dont forget favourites!!!!

On the day of travel DONT set a too ridgid set off time or be to expectant on time of arrival its just too stressful , go with the flow the journey is part of the holiday.

Lastly , drive a short distance , then pullover and do an once round the van to make sure everythings as it should be.

I once left an outside locker open because I'd got too much swirling around and forgot about it as I was in a rush.

Dont rush

You dont say where you are going? It might be worth planing ahead a looking for ways to entertain the kids , if the weather is bad and expect the weather to be bad this time of year so pack the wellies and kags'

Go luck , most of all enjoy the experience and have a laugh

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Linsay

Caravaning is different things to different people.

You will find your own way.

Before your first trip......

Click on the Home Page of this site and then click Caravaners A to Z.

Read all the advice and take note.

Choose a site that is not far from home to keep the journey short and keep your speed down.

Realise there will be a learning curve, just think safety and enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts