First-time France

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi

looking for recommendations of campsites in Northern France suitable for a first-timer - we normally go to Cornwall but fancy a change for next year. towing from Scotland so don't want to spend days on the road.

need a site that will keep a 15 year old occupied but not to busy/noisy. they either seem to be huge water parks or tiny sites with 2 showers - looking for something in between, perhaps with a pool?

cheers.

G

You may wish to look at the DFDS ferry to Holland from Newcastle. Cost wise it may be competitive with the drive all the way to Dover and is certainly less stressful, especially coming home. There are good sites in Holland that may appeal as a first timer, especially as Holland uses English as a 2nd language.

However, if France is your wish, have a look at the Bay of the Somme area around Abbeville. This is about 2 hours from Calais, all motorway. St Valerie and Le Croyton are attractive seaside places on the bay and worth a visit. Lots of cylcle tracks.

We usually stay at the Camping Val de Trie, just outside Abbeville. It is in the CC book. It has a pool and shop and snack bar. Madame who runs it is sometimes shorttempered, but once she gets to know you, is very nice. They also have the quaint practice of deliverying bread or croissants direct to your pitch at 8 am in the morning. No bag is supplied, they are placed on your car bonnet so you need to get up to get them before the birds. Many people use it as atransit stop when going to the south or back. There are also many other sites nearer the coast, again look at the CC book.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Must agree with Scotch Lad about D.F.D.S. They also do caravan goes free days - worth asking about - and generally the sooner you can book the cheaper it is.

G

Agreed. Northern France can be fine, but also very similar to the UK. So as mentioned if you want real sun then get to the Med. There is a line across France which has moved south over the last 40 years. It used to be around Lyon, now it is from Toulouse across. Below that, the sun shines. If you are looking at July also remember it is the high school holiday season and all sites will be packed out. It sometimes seems as if all of Holland has relocated to the south when you look at the sheer numbers of them in July. As a guide it is 1200 miles from Edinburgh to Perpignan using the DFDS Ferry to Amsterdam and then main motorways south.

I also agree with the Rosyth ferry. All indications are that it is very expensive.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
thanks for the feedback. as it would be out first time in France we didn't want to give ourselves too much of a challenge, however I take the point about the weather. it's not so much constant sunshine, just would prefer no howling gales and flooding! but then where is that guaranteed? unfortunately we are restricted with the school holidays, however would look at going as early in July as possible when the English schools are still in. many thanks for all the advice.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
oh and when you say the CC book do you mean the Europe 1? I saw them on the CC site, I am assuming they are worth getting?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you're going early July then it may be worth looking at the Camping Cheques website - www.campingcheque.co.uk - for details. They offer about 400 sites in France, for

G

Fubar,

AS for no howling gales, that is probable but flooding?? Probably not, but you do get some real violent thunderstorms and hailstones the size of golf balls have been recorded everywhere. However, like the rest of us, you batten down the hatches and wait it out. The sun usually shines agina few hours later.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
France is an obvious and easy place to go, but why not consider something with a bit more variety?

First why France? What about Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany? The Ardennes in southern Belgium is quite beautiful, quiet, and good walking country. Dinant is a good base.

Luxembourg is another place few people go but is very attractive and has plenty to see. Kockelscheuer is the city site, has good facilites with a sports hall and pool next door, and is easy access.

We have been a couple of times to the municipal site at Obernai in the Voges about 20 miles SW of Strasbourg. Good wine country, you can easily visit Germany, and Switzerland is not too far away.

The best bit? All Dutch, Belgian, and Germany motorways are free.

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I agree with Woody about the area around Obernai, although it's in the Alsace not Vosges. The Alsace is a much underrated bit of France and we've seen very few British tourists there despite a generally good climate and lots of picturesque villages. The Stork sanctuary near Ribeauville is well worth a visit. However, most of the sites there don't have pools in my experience and I'm not sure that grapes and pretty villages would do much for your average 15 year old. Much depends on his/her interests!

You might also consider getting one of the longer ferries to Normandy as there are some really nice sites there not very far from the ports. Trouble is - you may find it difficult to get cheap crossings now as it's generally best to book early.

John M

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
many thanks for all the advice, I have now ordered the CC Europe 1 & 2 books and will give them good study when they arrive. have started looking further south as suggested, but would have to persuade the missus to share the driving. Coming from Scotland I'm still undecided whether to stick with Cornwall or bite the bullet and go abroad. if we do though I think we would plump for France, all things considered - there just seems to be a bewildering array of choice. I reckon we just need to pick an area we fancy then work it from there. cheers for the help, good to tap into others' experiences.

G

Driving to Cornwall would take me 3 days whereas to get to Perpignan takes 4 days by going Newcastle across. My wife has been driving with a caravan since the 70's so has no difficulties. We have an automatic car so easy to drive. It is 1000 miles Edinburgh to the Dordogne and good motorway 95% of the way.

The choice is yours but most people having done it once, never go back to Cornwall for anythings serious. As you mention it is a huge country with so much variety and I think it is the sheer space that gets us. If you want to see what the UK used to look like in the 50's then try the Dordogne in May/June. The flowers and butterflies are stupendous. The further away from Paris you get, and the people tend to be friendlier, just like here. Obviously the 'hot spot' resorts are hectic in high season, but outwith, you will probably have the place to yourselves.

I suggest have a look at the CC overseas booking brochure for the sites listed there. They are designed to make life easier for you.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
If you have not already got it you should ring Caravan Club and ask them to send you (free of charge) their Travel Service in Europe Book - a glossy brochure with a good choice of sites which they do actually inspect. The Volumes you have ordered have all and any sites listed who wish to pay for inclusion - together with members comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts