First time Frenchies

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Although we have driven in France before we are taking the caravan for the first time this year to Cahors. We have looked at several routes but think we will go Calais, Rouen, Orleans, A20 to Cahors. Has anyone done this route and is it ok? Secondly, our ferry gets in at 3.15pm and we want to get as far down as we can before stopping for the night. We don't want to book a site ahead as that will mean we have to stop whether we like it or not. We are considering stopping for a break at one of the Aires around Rouen or Orleans. Any views?

G

Follow the advice already given. If you do stop at hypermarkets with the van, it can sometimes be a good idea for one party to remain with the outfit. You will probably never experience any trouble, but caution is better than worry afterwards.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Roz

We have undertaken this trip several times and not wanting to overdo the traveling have 2 stop overs on route though we normaly go further south, for the sake of a good nights sleep we use sites. first is off sortie 2 A28 Bouillancourt souse Mainnay at Moyenneville.it takes camping cheques. its about 70 miles from Calais.Our next stop is at Salbris of the A71 Junction4 a municipal site thats good there is a lake, some 250 miles from stop 0ne. Each time we go to France its like our first visit and we enjoy it so much so never let that excitment fade. its fun but I would never over estimate the distances you need to travel, my rule is to leave my overnight site 9.00am and have a cup of tea in hand at my new site soon after 4.00pm and something stronger to follow.

David from Suffolk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks David, that's really helpful. We had sort of come to the conclusion that we would have a two night stop over at Chartes, but that would mean some hefty travelling in the two halves. Both of us tow the caravan so the burden is halved. However, you have now given a bit more food for thought.

Our ferry gets into Calais at 3.15pm, so your first stop is probably about right for us, going straight to Chartres means a longer drive straight off the ferry. We need to give it greater thought.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Roz

Great to be of help. also except for a few places the road from Rouen to Chartres is not motorway and you have to go round several towns that make for slow traveling, and after a long day I would be tired not good. If all goes to plan I and ere indoors will be traveling on June 1st so dont drink all the red stuff will you.

David from Suffolk

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
David,

I had in mind to trust you to look after the Norfolk End while I am away in Italy, Now you tell me that you are swanning off to foreign parts also. Its just not good enough!

Do you think we could trust Wendy to do both.We have our street cred to consider.

ttfn

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Mike

It be a long way from here to there and there be alot o people in between plus all them cars tractors and orses so me thinks it would be good to let thems get on with it. Lets us know how them Itieas are and whach out for them bottles they tye up with string there some funny red stuf in them. plus theys have some funny ham they dont boil liks us do.

Have fun

David from Suffolk

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Have a good ( if well deserved I will take your word for it) holiday.

I have been practising how to handle these wicked Italians who stand over one, foot on chest, pouring red liquid into ones mouth, but I can't hack it. I obviously need more practice. Another year I will start earlier.

ttfn

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
Hello Roz,

Can recommend the camping municipal at Pont de l'Arche just after Rouen. Open April to October and you turn right at the first roundabout after crossing the Seine. The site is on the river bank and you can watch the peniches passing by. It is in the CC book. Not wonderful facilities but very friendly warden and right on your route. 9.10 euros for the night last year.

We usually go down via Blois to miss Orl

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Roz,

Can recommend the camping municipal at Pont de l'Arche just after Rouen. Open April to October and you turn right at the first roundabout after crossing the Seine. The site is on the river bank and you can watch the peniches passing by. It is in the CC book. Not wonderful facilities but very friendly warden and right on your route. 9.10 euros for the night last year.

We usually go down via Blois to miss Orl

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts