First time to France ??

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

We have been caravanning for 16 years but have never ventured abroad.

This year however we are seriousely thinking about spending 2 weeks in France. We have 2 dogs which I suppose would have to be put in kennels.

I have heard such stories from people who have been abroad (gas attacks, bad roads, awful campsites) that it has put me off but we had such an awful summer weather wise that we would like to go somewhere where it isnt raining or windy.

Our 16 year old son is also a keen surfer, can anyone recommend a good site not far from Calais which is close to some good surf beaches ?

Would you recommend travelling abroad, if so euro tunnel or ferries ?

Many Thanks

Ian

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Usually, if you chose a site advertised by the Caravan Club in their Travel Service in Europe book you will not have a "bad" site although some do not suit all tastes - obviously.

I would suggest you try Camping Le Bien Assise - approximately 20 minutes from Calais in Guines. Very easy to find and also has a pool which can be covered in poor weather.

The beach at Wissant is only 20 mins to half an hour away and attracts all water sports activities.

The site is part of Les Castels group of camp sites which have high standards and the pitches are large. Try googling Bien Assise and have a look.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian

We've been to the Dordogne with our dog for the past couple of years and loved it. The site was great, the roads were less busy than English ones and in better condition so the driving is less stressful. We use the tunnel as it allows us to stay in the car with the dog, costs

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

How easy is it to take your dogs to France ?

We have a westie and a collie lab cross. They arent dangerous breeds so i'm sure we would be allowed??

Many Thanks

Ian

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
We don't have dogs so cannot comment other than to say many English take their dogs to France so it must be relatively easy. Go for it - don't worry about some of the scare stories you hear or read about. These are extrememly isolated incidents. Just be sensible - and don't be tempted to stay overnight for free on an Aire de Repos (small service areas but without a petrol station or elaborate facilities) on the autoroute as they can be a little quiet (lonely).

If you do not feel confident enough to head further south for you first trip abroad then check out one or two websites, such as Eurocamp, or Keycamp to get an idea of the facilities that are on offer at various sites. La Bien Assise can be found below - there are photos of the facailities and even video tours.

http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseaction/PricingAvailability.validateSearchForm/amendsite/0/ver/1.cfm
We've never had any problems with the sites in the Caravan Club foreign touring guide - just read the comments carefully and see if it's the kind of site that will appeal to you.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
France is a fantastic place to camp or caravan. The roads are less crowded than in England, and driving is almost a pleasure again. We've been camping and caravanning in France for 28 years, and in that time have NEVER found a bad campsite. I'm not saying there aren't any bad sites, and there are some sites which we wouldn't choose to go back to, but in Britain we've stayed in some horrors and never found anything in France to compare to the bad sites we've stayed on in England. Don't believe the 'scare stories' either - most of them are just that - and just take the normal safety precautions you would do whilst towing in Britain.

Here's a good website for locating beaches for surfing http://www.beachwizard.com/beach.asp?country=France&beachid=7450 - you could then use this information to search for a campsite in your chosen area. There are loads of lovely campsites in Normandy so you don't need to go far for the surfing, but you may find the weather's not much better than at home. If you choose to go further afield then South Western France has some of the best surfing beaches around, but I can't help with sites in this area as it's not somewhere we've visited.

I think you'll find it's too late to take the dogs with you this year, as there's a minimum period before the jabs and treatments are effective, but the following 'thread' may help:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=94155&SearchPagePosition=1&search=France dogs&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=7&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search
Most sites in France accept dogs - except dangerous breeds - but there are some which don't so if you go another year, with your dogs, do make sure the site will accept them first.

You'll probably find, at the moment, that Norfolk Line does the cheapest return fares - and most people who've used them highly recommend them.

I do hope you decide to go, and that you enjoy your first holiday camping in France - most of us do, which is why so many people go back year after year.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

thanks for the replies. We have decided to leave the dogs with a relative for this year for us to get our feet first and then probably take them next year.

We are keen to go south to get better weather so will probably go from Portsmouth to Bilbao, where are the best places to stay around there ??

I have heard a lot about "reverse polarity", what is this and does it effect electricity use in the caravan ?

We also have a 2007 Bradcot classic awning with heat reflective roof, are we ok to use this awning abroad or could it void our anti-fade warranty on the awning ?? Also are sun canopies such as the fiamma more popular and cooler ??

Many Thanks

Ian

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian,

reverse polarity. This is where the live & neutral wires in France are the opposite to us in the UK.

You will need a tester which fits into your 13amp socket in the van. You can get them from B&Q or Homebase etc.

Some French sites have the blue conections like us BUT they may be reversed, so you need a short length of mains 3 core cable 1 male conector & 1 female, conect one of them normally & the other the wrong way round (live & neutral). Mark it to show it has been reversed.

Then you need 2 x 2 pin continental adapters (you can get them from caravan shops. They are conected to blue female conectors).

Reverse the positive & negative in one of the blue females & then mark it to show it has been reversed (I use red tape).

That will cover you in France. If you have probs with the wiring, the workshop at a caravan shop will probably do it for you.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
HI Graham

on the control panel inside the van there is a light at the bottom which says polarity on it. I have never seen this on but in France would this light show me if there was reverse polarity if so do I still need a polarity tester ?

Many Thanks

Ian

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
HI Graham

on the control panel inside the van there is a light at the bottom which says polarity on it. I have never seen this on but in France would this light show me if there was reverse polarity if so do I still need a polarity tester ?

Many Thanks

Ian

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The area around Biarritz is home to some of the best surfing beaches around, with Hossegor (slightly further north)next best. Biarritz is not that far from Bilbao, 146 km, so easily doable. Maybe someone else can come up with site suggestions for this area, with surfing in mind. If you want another forum, can I suggest UKCS, which has a lot of very helpful members, who may be able to offer additional advice.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Just an hour from Bilbao to the South on the N8 is Noja - a site in the Caravan Club Travel Service Book is Playa Joyel - windy position so good for the surfing and the site is bordering the beach. Two hours to the North on the N8 and just into France is Biarritz - do not know much about the water sports there but a lovely site we visited in 2006 is Pavillion Royal; - again has access to a lovely beach. No statics on this site. It has a good restaurant and bar. Brilliant new Intermarche (supermarket) not far from the site. Site can be found on it's website or in the Caravan Club Travel Service in Europe book. We would definitely go back to this site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

Lots of good advice from every body so far, we had cause to be grateful that we had european breakdown cover last time we went to Brittany,local garage recovered our Discovery and fitted new battery and alternator, we were provided with hire car, while ours was being repaired, all organised by French speaking operators in England, we would certainly not risk travelling to France without the cover. All we had to pay for were the new parts and fitting.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for the replies, they really are a great help.

We are members of the Caravan club and I have just thought whether they do rally's abroad.

This would be good for first time as we could travel with others who would probably be more experienced at travelling abroad than us.

Do the clubs use nice sites with ehu or do they tend to be just fields with water and waste ??

Many Thanks

Ian

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for the replies, they really are a great help.

We are members of the Caravan club and I have just thought whether they do rally's abroad.

This would be good for first time as we could travel with others who would probably be more experienced at travelling abroad than us.

Do the clubs use nice sites with ehu or do they tend to be just fields with water and waste ??

Many Thanks

Ian
i think both clubs do use the advertised sites abroad. The Caravan & Camping club are running a rally this year at around June time at Playa Joyel, Noja, North Spain which I have said is about 1 hour from Bilbao. Although not part of the rally we were there in 2006 and all were very friendly. They seemed to have a great time although none had any children with them.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Out of curiousity, Where are the good roads in this country????

We also have bad campsites!!!!
Easy answer - there are none! When we sailed into Spain in 2006 we spent 3 weeks travelling up the coast of France and came home from Cherbourg. With the exception of the "white knuckle ride" travelling outside Bilbao we did not hit one bit of traffic. We did travel on the toll roads but if there were any signs of road works there were actually people there working. On returning home we hit roadworks on the A34. Traffic was bumper to bumper with a whole lane taken out. Not one worker to be seen!

G

Reality will be your long crossing to Bilbao will be expensive, consider crossing to Le Havre or Caen then a days easy run to the Vendee which is good for beaches and surfing. We went to Hossegor last June and all along that coast up the region called the Landes is an easy trek from Bilbao.

May 6, 2008
Visit site
Usually, if you chose a site advertised by the Caravan Club in their Travel Service in Europe book you will not have a "bad" site although some do not suit all tastes - obviously.

I would suggest you try Camping Le Bien Assise - approximately 20 minutes from Calais in Guines. Very easy to find and also has a pool which can be covered in poor weather.

The beach at Wissant is only 20 mins to half an hour away and attracts all water sports activities.

The site is part of Les Castels group of camp sites which have high standards and the pitches are large. Try googling Bien Assise and have a look.
I have spent many years in France and have never experienced a "bad" site until last year when I stayed at Le Bien Assise - it was the scruffiest place ever!! I emailed a complaint but received only a disinterested reply and will NEVER use it again although it is very convenient for Le Tunnel.

Geof

May 6, 2008
Visit site
My wife has just pointed out that I have done Le Bien Assise a great injustice! I had another site in mind (old age and memory loss??)when I called it "scruffy". The site I was thinking of was Des Dunes.

Apologies.

Geof.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
A good spot for surfing is on the west coast, they have good breaks there. Biscarose is an ideal area, and geared up for water sports.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Thanks for the replies !!

Have decided for this year that we will go over for a week or so and not stay far from the ferry port. Maybe poole to Cherbourg.

As said before we are members of the caravan club, do they have any sites in Normandy ?? Do they have a list of their sites abroad online ??

Many Thanks

Ian

G

I am sorry, but do you travel to Wales, or Scotland or even Ireland? Any of these places is likely to throw up as many problems, if not more than going to France. Sometimes even the language is different, and many French will speak English as long as you do not shout at them. Look up your old school books and practice your old very rusty phrases. even a simple 'please and thank you' will get you going.

Go to France and enjoy yourself and see what many others have found out over the ages. You will make mistakes, we all do, but they are far more tolerant than this side of the Channel. The more you travel the more you will relax and enjoy.

The CC has excellent books and assistance on everything you need. Personally, i would not go with others. You will only see what they want you to see, not what you may enjoy yourself, and the fun is exploring.

Forget the horror stories. There is more chance of being mugged in the UK. Don't forget the Press love a good 'horror story' and usually embellish it. The gas attacks are so rare that you will likely never even get to hear of one, except in the Sunday gossips. Yes, there are sites you do not wish to return to, but I could give you a list of similar here in the UK. There are also others where people go back year after year. Again, the CC has a good selection, buit does not list all the good ones. You wiull find them yourself.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I agree fully with you !!

We live in Wales and in February we visited a cl about 2 hours away, and it was horrific !! The car and van got bogged down and the hook kept tripping out and the only item that was on was the heater on lowest setting. The owners told us that there was lighting provided around the site, but we never spotted it !!

I have thought about going independently, Brittany do a good deal on the crossings and we have found a lovely site very close to Cherbourg.

http://www.adbcamping.com/gb/index3.htm
Anyone been to this site ?? Apparently access is hard but the site looks gorgeous.

Many Thanks

Ian

May 11, 2008
Visit site
France is really good for caravaners. Re the dogs, there is no problem taking them, we have been through France and Spain with ours. You will need to get them injected for rabies and also chipped but there is a time span for this so you need to see your vet about this. If you are going out of season then use a French system of Camping Cheques. They have a web site and an office in Kent. Worth joining. If you are sensible in France you will not have any problems and it is a great country to visit.

TRENDING THREADS