FIRST TIME TO GERMANY

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
We have booked our eurotunnel crossing for the last two weeks of June and would like to go to Germany as we have been to France for the last two years.

Can anyone give us advice as to which area to visit and why? And what is the weather like there in June.

Also a suggested route would be welcome, or am I asking too much.

Thanks,

Malcolm and Caryl

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Geermany is a relatively big country with lots of different scenery etc. to offer so it would be helpful to know which part of the country you intend to visit. The north is generally flatter but still has plenty to offer such as the North Sea or Baltic Sea coasts or the lake district to the north of Berlin. The further south you go, the more mountainous it becomes but in between there's always the Rhine and Moselle valleys. I live in Germany so if you'd like more information, write me an email and I'll see what I can do for you. However, I'm away from home at the moment and will be returning on the 23rd, so I wouldn't be able to give you much detailed information before then.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Malcolm and Caryl

If you would like to have a look at mu website, www.caravantravels.co.uk and follow the link to Travels in Europe I have accounts of a couple of trips to Germany with photos which might be of some help.

David

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
I lived in Germany for 15 yrs. The Mosel Region (Trier) was lovely Lots of Vineyards etc. Also I visited Bavaria a lot espeically around Lake Chiemsee which is east of Munich on the edge of the Bavarian Alps also its not far from Salzburg Austria. The are plenty of campingplatz around the lake the Lake is huge( 79 square Km ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiemsee. type in campingplatz chiemsee in google and a variaty of sites are available. It was a good central location for visits to Munich and Salzburg and the Chiemgau region was lovely. Another area I visited was Garmisch Partenkirten south of Munich in the Bavarian Alps again this was good central location for Innsbruck in Austria, Fussen is also not far it has many castles including the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Castle.

Enjoy your Holiday

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there Malcolm

Germany is a large place but as part of your trip I would travel down the Romanticshe Strasse (Spelling?), as there are lots of places and castles to see. Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a must...really lovely and oldy worlde...This road would then lead you to Fussen near the Austrian border. Here you will find the castles made by 'Mad' king Ludvick.

Happy travels

BarryB

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
As others have noted, Germany is a large country with a wide variation in scenery and climate. Last year we spent three months on a trip around northern Germany, the Baltic coast and the former East Germany states. We enjoyed the island of R

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As others have noted, Germany is a large country with a wide variation in scenery and climate. Last year we spent three months on a trip around northern Germany, the Baltic coast and the former East Germany states. We enjoyed the island of R

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone. It looks as if we will be heading to the Koblenz area and take day trips from there.

Now it's to decide if to go via Belgium or through Reims and Metz.

Any suggestions?

Malcolm and Caryl

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
As rightly pointed out by David Klyne, the correct address for the information on our travels in Germany is http://www.kdmercer.co.uk/Caravan_Touring.html

I blame my dyslexic fingers ;)

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Malcolm,

My Sister-in-Law comes from Koblenz and when we went across for the wedding, we went via Luxemburg. This was a disaster as we kept getting lost, but on the return journey we went via Holland and this was trouble free.

As we did not take the van on this occasion, I cannot comment on the best route for you, however I would suggest you look at www.mappy.com as well as www.viamichelin.com these two websites will give you different options to suit your circumstances and also tell you how much you should expect to pay for the toll roads,

best regards, Martin

PS. Belgium and Holland are very flat, so would be the better route if towing.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I do the journey several times a year, in fact, I'll be driving via Koblenz to Calais at the end of the month. The best route is undoubtedly via Belgium, either up to Ostend and then via Brussels, Liege and Aachen, unless you plan to be in the Brussels area around rush hour time. In that case, it would be worth bypassing Brussels by considering the route Calais, Lille, Mons, Namur, Charleroi, Liege and thence Aachen again.

Any journey via Luxemburg is going to take longer and is only worthwhile if you are really going to take advantage of cheap petrol in Luxemburg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts