First time to Spain in caravan

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Well we are going to go from Portsmouth to Bilbao on 2nd Jan2008 for two months,and then hopefuly drive across to Tarragona and then down to Almeria area.Anyone tell me the best rout to take?.Also any good clean caravan sites open on way to Tarragona preferably close to Bilbao just in case we have a rough crossing and dont want to drive for a day or two(wife not good in rough weather).Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
See my post under "Fuel Supply - Spain" dated 7 Oct 2007 for the route I am taking a month after you. Can't help with campsite at Bilbao tho'.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Walter, Having looked at the map I see that Tarragona is a bit further up the coast than I thought. Unless you need to go via Tarragona the route I have given previously I believe is more direct. From all the info I have gleaned from other travellers using this route, internet, Spanish Tourist Office etc the Burgos/Madrid/Granada route to the med coast is a good, mainly dual cariageway, road.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
You have chosen one of the worst sea crossings (Bay of Biscay) if your wife does not travel at sea well.

I know the ferries are stabilised but a rough crossing here will be a really rough one.

I would consider the chunnel and the drive down if you are going for 2 months. If she is going to be laid up for 2 days you could have driven down in that time, avoided any illness, seen some of France and it would probably be cheaper.

I did some of the route you mention some years ago without a van and remember decent but hilly roads.

If you go on googlemaps or multimap you can plan your route and then change to aerial view and zoom in to get an idea of what the roads are like.

I do it all the time for UK routes to make sure I am not going anywhere ridiculous with the van on the back.

Only drawback is you can not really see the hills from the satellite.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sooy can't help with site neal the port, but if you want a nice easy drive to almeria, look at Pamplona to Zaragoza to Tereul to Valencia to Murcia to almeria. Open all year sites at Mendigorra near Pamplona Savinan near Calatayud Manzanera and Navajas near Valencia Fortuna near Murcia - all in CC Europe volume 1

Take an inland route from Valencia to Murcia to avoid Benidorm and Alicante areas and heavy HGV traffic, or stick to the coast and give yourself the choice of more sites.

This route avoids Madrid which can get very busy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts