First time touring in France - Any Advice or Recommendations.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I've copies this from another forum:

Hi all.
it is my intention to take the family to Normandy, i want to visit as many ww2 sites as possible, museums etc, having never towed abroad before or indeed used a ferry with the van, i would love any advice about touring in france and any hints and tips?
i have read about reversed polarity but i have so many other questions like what about breakdown cover (i am with RAC) etc etc
any comments would be most welcome
cheers

I suggested the poster put another post on this forum, and replied to his post as follows:

You'd be much better posting this in the Caravanning Abroad Section - where you should get lots more replies.
Tips - Norfolk Lines ferries are generally the cheapest, from Dover to Dunkerque, and have a promotional code, usually available at the time of the NEC caravan show, which could get you a ferry crossing for as little as £58.00 (we've just booked two return crossings for 2011). If you shop at Tesco you can save up your vouchers and exchange them for 'deals' at three times the value, and use these to pay for your Eurotunnel crossing.
Breakdown cover - Red Pennant from the Caravan Club is the Gold Standard - and really does offer a comprehensive service to caravanners but ADAC (a German company) is said to be the cheapest and most comprehensive and is recommended by a lot of contributors to the 'Abroad' sectiion.
Driving on the 'wrong' side is no problem - just remember 'Keep your bum in the gutter' and you'll stay on the correct side. Chant this when coming up to roundabouts, out of garage forecourts, and at junctions!
Traffic is less, and roads are better. There are toll autoroutes - which can mount up - but if you're cheapskates like us then you can avoid paying any tolls at all. Diesel is Gazole, Unleaded is Sans Plomb. There are more (and often better) Aires and picnic areas to stop at, most of which are very caravan friendly.
If you can, travel outside the peak weeks of mid-July to mid-August - sites are often cheaper, pitches are easier to come by, and facilities less stretched. Campsites are generally high quality. You can still 'tour' - ie without booking sites, and just going where you fancy when you fancy (outside peak weeks, anyway).
These are just brief tips, but if you need any more details I'd be happy to help - but I would suggest moving your post.

I'm sure a lot of you hepful people will want to add recommendations and advice.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Val A

I have just booked my first trip to France. Dover to Calais for £135 car, caravan and 4 adults. Over £600 on Brittany Ferries to Caen. We too are going to Normandy to see the WW2 museums beaches etc. Staying at the Cote de Nacre camp site as colleagues of mine stayed there last year and recommeded it. I find Google Maps on street view very helpful. I have found a Carrefour hypermarket in Calais just off the E15 which is where I intend to fill up.
There are also home videos on You Tube that people have taken entering the port of Dover and driving onto the ferry and also at Calais.
Hope this helps

Steve

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Steve, but I should have said that I was posting the question on behalf of someone else.
As I said in my 'reply' we've already booked our two return crossings for next year from Dover to Dunkerque - the cheapest route at the moment. We've been camping/caravanning in France for over thirty years ourselves, so have plenty of experience - but I'm no expert on Northern France, or the WW2 sites, so thought someone else more appropriate to reply to that part of the query.
We do use supermarket fuel too, though - saving a fortune on fill-ups over the course of our holiday!
We've often thought about doing some of the WW2 sites ourselves, but are sun lovers and usually have to go further south to find the sun.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts