First time

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At 6,00pm this evening, I waved off my young neighbours for their first ever caravan experience. Mum, dad, teenage daughter and four and 2 year old sons. It took me back 40 odd years to our first time.Can any of you still remember your first time?

(going away in the caravan, Braykewynde!)I didn't have a kindly neighbour to show me the ropes, so our trip down to Lynton was hair-raisngly worrying!

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Hi emmerson, Can you remember your first time???

I think Lord B, is still trying to work out how to put his awning up,after ??years of caravaning.

Regards Liz

May 12, 2006
Visit site
First time, now that got me thinking, I can't remember what I did last week, but 1966 I can remember like it was yesterday!!!!

We had a Bucaneer towed it with a Capri weights,what did I know she was about 7 & 1/2 stone never towed her, but she has had me in tow for the last 39 years. So make sure what you Hitch Up To is the best model available, it could be with you for a very long time.

ps you need to make sure you can keep up with new tow cars, as the weight increases with age. Now my model is around 8 1/2 stone. One futher thought if you get a good model you never lose out on the trade in.

Frank Val's watching the Telly

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even without Lord B, we get suggestive posts!Really, you lot!You're right you know Frank.Most of us gained appreciatting assets, pound for pound!However, the subject was caravanning for the first time, so keep your minds on the job in hand please,otherwise it'll be a spell on the mop and bucket!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My first model became detached after 23yrs service, ran solo for a couple of years then got hitched up to a new model that has been in tow for the past 11 yrs & performs very well in all conditions but weight wise a perfect match coming in well below the recommended 85% guideline (mainly with me being a fat b*ger) but seriously, spotted my first caravan while away in Mabelthorpe, back in 1968 for the grand sum of

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Same here, on my second, import model this time so much better that my original british one ;O)

And the caravan,a very old Fairholme (I think) towed down to St Ives behind a Range Rover in 1985.

So basic , in poor condition and prone to leeking .... whoops sorry back to the first wife again ;O)

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
:0) Now Fairhome, they did a model with two doors if memory serves me right, was it the new dawn? Import model mmmmmmmmmmmm not sure if I could handel a left hand drive version!!!!

Allan & Gill.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm still on the original, a classic now. The back end still sways now, as it's always done although the bottom might need delaminating :O(

Thankfully the old girl is still watertight although due to faulty heating she very often blows hot and cold.

Once the coupling was attached we were off and would keep going without stopping for hours. I remember our first time really well. I remember saying to Her Ladyship that I couldn't keep this up for much longer because I was exhausted. With a little encouragement she persuaded me to keep at it until through tiredness I had stop. Having had a late night I was amazed at my wifes stamina although I'm sure she was having catnaps.

I was really glad the services were open, I'd gone over two hundred miles on my first tow.I just crashed out onto the seat and slept.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm still on the original, a classic now. The back end still sways now, as it's always done although the bottom might need delaminating :O(

Thankfully the old girl is still watertight although due to faulty heating she very often blows hot and cold.

Once the coupling was attached we were off and would keep going without stopping for hours. I remember our first time really well. I remember saying to Her Ladyship that I couldn't keep this up for much longer because I was exhausted. With a little encouragement she persuaded me to keep at it until through tiredness I had stop. Having had a late night I was amazed at my wifes stamina although I'm sure she was having catnaps.

I was really glad the services were open, I'd gone over two hundred miles on my first tow.I just crashed out onto the seat and slept.
Nice One!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My neighbours have just returned from their trip to Gower. They have had a wonderful time, in spite of the weather, and not having a hook-up. I'm really glad they did, because they've bought my other neighbours Royale, at my instigation, so if they hadn't enjoyed it, I'd have felt guilty! They now can't wait to go again!

TRENDING THREADS