Fish Ponds

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Anyone started feeding yet?

Any experience of auto feeders that will work for 3 weeks or more??
smiley-kiss.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
mucky pup said:
If it stays warm for the next week start then.
You could get a freind to feed them or if he is away with you get a DAFF PICKER to do it
smiley-smile.gif
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-wink.gif
I'll start next weekend but what if I catch the daff thief at it again?
smiley-undecided.gif
I'll have to set the dogs on him
smiley-laughing.gif

We have a "merchant banker" who picks wild flowers and pretends he buys them and gives them to lonely widows of the town as a knight in shining armour. We all have these to$$ers!!
smiley-yell.gif
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
chrisbee 1 said:
herb said:
been feeding mine for about 3 weeks

Likewise

Ditto.

Now had to turn off the pond pump otherwise the tadpoles will get sucked off.
When I'm away I get our SIL to feed the fish once a week which is enough if the pond has the right balance of plant and bug life DD.
Sadly they are known to partake of the odd tadpole
smiley-cry.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
.Now had to turn off the pond pump otherwise the tadpoles will get sucked off.

sucked "IN" my dear boy not "OFF"
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif
smiley-embarassed.gif

Dependant on the size of the pond to the fish population it should not harm the fish if left for a couple of weeks a few bags of daphnia would help as for eating the tadpoles it won't do them any harm as they are a good source of protein.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
We bought five little goldfish, put them in our pond. Fed them occasionally. They grew to about 4" then started to disappear, one at a time, over several months. Cat? Heron? Poaching kids? No! One day I found my GSD munching one. By that time we only had one left. He survived, GSD died of old age.
The fish is now abouit 8" long, which can't be bad, as I haven't fed it for about five years.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
602 said:
They grew to about 4" then started to disappear, one at a time, over several months. Cat? Heron? Poaching kids?

Some years ago we had a similar problem with about 8 fish going missing. We thought along the same lines as you until one morning we opened the blinds and saw a gull hovering above the pond with another 6 gulls sat on the garage roof awaiting their turn at the fast food takeaway.
We thought we had lost them all because we never saw a fish for over a week but the gulls must have spooked them and they were hiding at the bottom amongst the plants. The only way I found this out was by shining a torch into the pond at night and spotting a bit of red. The nice gulls left us with 9 fish.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
any body with Fish near open ground beware , we had all our Koi eaten by wild Mink some of them were 27" long and would feed out of your hand , we had the over 12 years

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Just feed mine mutton vindaloo popadoms chips and nann bread lets see the mink eat them you will see a trail off mink sh,..t all the way to there little mink caravan.he he

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
forest gump said:
Just feed mine mutton vindaloo popadoms chips and nann bread lets see the mink eat them you will see a trail off mink sh,..t all the way to there little mink caravan.he he

Not a good idea Gumpy considering my dogs try their best to clear said sh-t of rabbits etc. from dog walks. I wouldn't want them eating mink vindapoo and pebble dashing the caravan from 10 paces
smiley-frown.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts