Fit to Tow DVD, your views on it

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Well I eventually got my subscription copy of PC mag on the 8th May, today I watched the fit to tow DVD, IMHO what a complete & utter waste of space that DVD is!

What did you think of it & was it worth delaying the mag for it?

May 7, 2008
Visit site
i could not believe the mistakes made in the video!

the man who is telling us the information says: "you go out and buy the smallest caravan you are comfortable in and then go out and buy the biggest car you can afford." thats like telling someone to get a Freedom Microlite caravan and pulling it with a Land Rover Discovery! thats around a 19% match!

little things like calling the light 12n plug 'the electrics' and describing how to work a tow hitch that isn't fitted on most new caravans. he also attatches the breakaway cable around the towball, when there is a loop for it just to the side.

ok, he talked about loading, weights and towing safely whigh is where some people get it wrong, you have to give them credit for that. the DVD is probably aimed at first timers, not experienced caravanners. as you know many 'newbies' read Practical Caravan and the DVD will be a benifit to them, as we welcome them to the fantastic world of caravanning!!! But i do like the way he called them corner steadies instead of 'legs'....!!!

Aug 11, 2006
Visit site
i could not believe the mistakes made in the video!

the man who is telling us the information says: "you go out and buy the smallest caravan you are comfortable in and then go out and buy the biggest car you can afford." thats like telling someone to get a Freedom Microlite caravan and pulling it with a Land Rover Discovery! thats around a 19% match!

little things like calling the light 12n plug 'the electrics' and describing how to work a tow hitch that isn't fitted on most new caravans. he also attatches the breakaway cable around the towball, when there is a loop for it just to the side.

ok, he talked about loading, weights and towing safely whigh is where some people get it wrong, you have to give them credit for that. the DVD is probably aimed at first timers, not experienced caravanners. as you know many 'newbies' read Practical Caravan and the DVD will be a benifit to them, as we welcome them to the fantastic world of caravanning!!! But i do like the way he called them corner steadies instead of 'legs'....!!!
hi,

we looked at the dvd and threw it in the bin!! What a waste of space.

helen

May 18, 2007
Visit site
I finally saw the DVD and can only concur what others have said A complete waste of tax payers money by the Highways Agency.

As well as the discrepancies already mentioned It gives the impression that you can tow a 750kg with any vehicle. Unless the law has changed I thought that you could only tow up to 50% of kerbweight with an unbraked trailer. The statement that it is 'Impossible' to reverse a small trailer,what a lod of crap.Unless the trailer is so small it is impossible to see then reversing is possible with care and experience. As for calmly stating that there were 1400 injury accidents and 43 fatalities involving 'towing' vehicles. This is such a meaningless statement that it is worthless and only provides fodder for the anti caravan brigade who no doubt will latch onto a statistic like that with glee.

My copy of the DVD is going to the dustbin.

Next time the Highways Agency want to do an instructive DVD then I would suggest they take professional advice before doing so, this would hopefully provide the public with a useful tool both for newcomers and old hands like myself.

Feb 13, 2002
Visit site
Personally I don't see what you are all moaning about. I thought that the DVD made an excellent coaster. But then you can't please everybody I suppose. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts